Confused about ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foreverdixie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My regular ph is 7.6 or higher
My high range ph is very light...less than 7.4
What is my actual ph? Which should I go by?
I am cycling a 5 gallon tank with a goldfish and all other numbers are 0

I am using an API freshwater master test kit

Last edited:
Sounds like you're right on the border between regular and high range PH. 7.4 or 7.6, both are close enough that you probably won't need to worry about it, especially if you other numbers are good. Nitrate is very seldom at zero, though. Ammonia and nitrites should always be as close to zero as possible.
A larger concern is having gold fish in a 5g tank. Not good at all. At the very minimum, goldfish will require 20 gallons for each fish. Even one goldfish will quickly pollute such a small tank, so your fish will essentially be swimming in poison, and living in such a close environment will cause the fish to stunt and greatly shorten it's lifespan. I would advise a much larger tank very soon.

Thank you for your response and concerns. I apologize for not giving you more information SherLar. The nitrates are at zero because I am cycling the tank. I am using the goldfish to help cycle. They are very small and are only about 1.5 inches long. They are feeder goldfish and are escaping a much worse fate by helping me. Otherwise they were going to be food for someone's larger pet. I plan on putting them in my pond when my tank is completely cycled. I am also, as soon as possible, going to upgrade to a ten gallon. I am relieved to hear that my ph is not a problem. Again, thank you for your input.

Ah. I should have surmised the situation, had I been more attentive. My apologies. It sounds like you know what you're doing with the cycling.
I don't usually advocate test strips, but with your PH on the border between high and reg, you could use a strip to double check, if it will ease your mind. I still wouldn't worry, however. Unless you get an extremely sensitive type of fish, it shouldn't make a lot of difference, as long as you acclimate them slowly, and the PH is within the acceptable range for your fish.

I have switched to a 10 gallon that was given to me. I do have to buy a hood though. I used my partially cycled water and media, but pretty much figure I will be starting all over again. Oh, well. I guess good things come to those that wait. The gold fish look very happy!

Back
Top Bottom