confused: nitrifying bacteria need ammonia to grow, so how can you overstock a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know you can overstock a tank based on open swimming space and territory.
But in terms of the biological filter, how can you overstock a tank if the beneficial bacteria will continue to expand?

Nitrifying bacteria feed on ammonia to grow.
And they multiply accordingly to support the population of fish.

So does this mean, you can keep adding fish (overstock) because the nitrifying bacteria will eventually grow to support the current bioload??

There is always an endless supply of ammonia available.
Does the bacteria eventually run out of available places to grow?

Someone please explain. :banghead::banghead:

Well, there is a finite amount of surface upon which your beneficial bacteria may grow. So I suspect that eventually, there will be 'no more room at the inn', so to speak. I'm only guessing mind you, so don't quote me on this.

I think the more salient point is the end result of Beneficial Bacteria's work: nitrAtes. NitrAtes are only less toxic to fish. The goal is to keep your nitrAtes less than 40ppm and less than 20ppm is the standard here on AA. So, by that measure, your aquarium is over stocked if it reaches 20 - 40 ppm more often than you are willing to do water changes to maintain safe conditions for your fish.

I hope that helps a bit.
-M

Last edited:
That's how I understand it as well Mac.

The Nitrate level thing is very subjective, but the 20 area is a good basic guideline.

Stocking guidelines are usually based on the size/behavior of the fish in relation to the tank setup, not whether a biofilter can handle it.

Well, technically, I'm overstocked for the size/shape/water surface etc. for my tank. I have many fish, all of which are to be 3" or less at full size and half of that number is actually 1.5". That said, so far I hit 20ppm at ~ten days so that's when I do water changes, though I do test throughout the week, just to be certain all is well.

I know you can overstock a tank based on open swimming space and territory.
But in terms of the biological filter, how can you overstock a tank if the beneficial bacteria will continue to expand?

Nitrifying bacteria feed on ammonia to grow.
And they multiply accordingly to support the population of fish.

So does this mean, you can keep adding fish (overstock) because the nitrifying bacteria will eventually grow to support the current bioload??

There is always an endless supply of ammonia available.
Does the bacteria eventually run out of available places to grow?

Sounds like this is an issue of overcrowding compared to overstocking.

overcrowding ... IMO ... is having large fish in too small a tank, too many small fish in a larger tank .. or better yet ... two very territorial solitary fish in the same tank. Even with adequate filtration, the limited volume can restrict movement, create aggression and or cause health problems.

overstocking really comes down to bio-load, nitrates and PWC's.

You can overstock a 20 gal with three young fancy goldfish even though technically they may not be overcrowded ... until they grow larger:D

Back
Top Bottom