converted from fish-in to a fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrkGumby12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive had my new 1st aquarium since i was in elementary school and as i bought this one, i learned about cycling. My main flaw was buying a fish before learning about cycling. Well actually i bought 4. 2 orandas 1 black moor and 1 comet that i plan on giving away eventually pretty soon but ill probably replace it with another oranda when i do. So i decided to switch my cycling strategy today because all my fish are unique and I'd be pretty upset if any of them died. I started 2 weeks ago as a fish-in but i kept up with water changes so much to keep levels low that i still haven't seen a trace of nitrite. Not because of this reason alone, again i wanted to save my fish more than anything... now at least i can just keep supplying fish food to the empty tank to try and maintain the ammonia levels a bjt higher.. has anybody else gone through this? Was it a better idea than just to keep the fish in? Should i go buy a few common goldfish and let them help with the cycle?

Details are: 46g bowfront, emperor 400 filter, gravel as substrate and i use the api master test kit. Oh and the fish are pretty small so i put them in a 10 gallon temporarily, so i plan to just do easier more thorough water changes there so that i can maintain it healthy for them.

Thank for any help and advice.

Just so I am clear, you moved 3 fancy goldfish and a comet to a 10g tank?? This is a death sentence for them, unfortunately. There is no way you can maintain stable parameters in this tiny of a tank with this many messy fish unless you are changing 100% of the water multiple times a day. I would do a 100% (or two) water changes along with good grav vacs on the 46g and move them back to this tank asap. More water offers more dilute toxin levels- along with prime, they will survive a fish-in cycle without an issue.

I honestly would rehome the comet to a pond as soon as possible. This will also help reduce the bioload in this size tank and make the cycling process easier and less stressful for everyone, including yourself. Do not add anymore fish. Three fancies in a 46g is fully stocked. You may want to consider adding an additional filter as well. As full grown adults, they will likely need an even bigger tank.

In respect to the cycling process in the 46g, at only 2weeks into a fish-in cycle, its perfectly normal to have not seen any nitrites yet. Fish-in cycles can take 6-8wks (or longer, unfortunately) and require lots of patience. Adding cycled media is the quickest way to jumpstart a cycle and speed up the cycling process. Please ask if you have questions!!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

If i move them back in and use prime, which i do, what ammonia levels and nitrite levels should i stay under during the entire cycle to avoid harming or killing these guys?

Ideally, keep your levels at (preferably below) .25ppm. Please read the links I posted for you. If you know anyone with a healthy cycled tank or pond, getting some cycled media is the easiest route to go. Angelsplus also sells cycled "active' filter media as well if you want to consider this option. Ill post their link below.

Even at an inch or two big, this many messy fish in a 10g is simply way too many. You could keep one in a 10g very short term but thats about it. As they are juveniles right now, they really need lots of water to accomodate their growth. Goldfish do the majority of their growing in their first 2-3yrs of life until hitting sexual maturity. They continue to grow after this but just at a slower rate. The more healthy water you can offer them, the better!

Aquarium Sponge Filters

So i just bought this to add to my filter.. Is this what i was supposed to buy or something else.. Also how would you use it in the same scenario as myself. Thanks a lot.

Bulk 15-30 PPI Bio-Media - 230 cu inches (gallon) $4.75

Nevermind i just spoke to the guy and switched my order to this after realizing i bought the wrong one.. Anyway thanks a lot JLK, you're a tremendous help.. Now my only question is how i should use it when i get it.. Thanks a bunch. I owe you.

Active 15-30 ppi Mag Filter - $8.25

When you get the filter, you can either run it with an airpump & some tubing (couple bucks at walmart) or cut it up and place it in your current filter. :)

Back
Top Bottom