Convict Cichlids or goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TinaT86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I'm just setting up a 3 foot tank approx 160 litres & wondering for a beginner would I be better having goldfish or convict cichlids?

I love goldfish but they are messy & prone to a lot of diseases; I love the convict cichlids & heard they are easy but remember I am a beginner.

I've done all the right things with the tank set up including the cycle etc just wondering what type of fish you would go for out of those 2 options?

Thanks heaps, Tina

Hey guys,

I'm just setting up a 3 foot tank approx 160 litres & wondering for a beginner would I be better having goldfish or convict cichlids?

I love goldfish but they are messy & prone to a lot of diseases; I love the convict cichlids & heard they are easy but remember I am a beginner.

I've done all the right things with the tank set up including the cycle etc just wondering what type of fish you would go for out of those 2 options?

Thanks heaps, Tina[/QUOTE

Personally i wouldn't do ether due to you can keep probably only one in the tank

If I'm correct in thinking that's around 42 US gallons, then I think you could actually do 2 fancy goldfish, possibly 3. That is if I'm also correctly remembering that as the variety that gets 20 gal for the first and 10 for every one after that.

Yes that's correct it's around 42 us gallons... So it's not a really tiny tank - I could fit a couple in there.

If not goldfish or convicts what would you guys suggest that's fairly easy?

Thanks heaps for your help

you have tons of options!

I'd recommend some smaller gourami(dwarf, perhaps sparkling) but they can be a little sensitive. I kept some when I was a beginner and never had any issues though. If your tank is cycled already and you keep up on your water then I think you should be fine.

You have tons of options with tetras, most are very hardy fish. Keep in mind they are schooling fish so you will need about 6 of each at least. Some people have had luck in smaller groups but I always shoot for 6 or so.

Look into some rasboras too, another fairly hearty group, schoolers as well.

Tons of options with live bearers - guppies, mollies or platys but you could end up with a breeding frenzy on your hands if not careful.

You could do some bottom dwellers as well. Smaller types of corys or loaches.

In short really, I'd suggest you go online and check out some fish that interest you. All the kinds I've mentioned you can find on the liveaquaria website and it gives you some nice basics and pix. Somewhere to start.

Personally I'd probably do a couple schools of about 8 tetras, a shoal of about 5-6 corys and a dwarf gourami- our other centerpiece fish. But I really like a variety that is interesting to look at.

Go community , your open to much more options that way. Plus community fish like guppies, platies are very easy to keep. :)

Check out liveaquaria.com and see what fish you like then tell us here

Personally I would go for jewel cichlids instead. Very colourful and hardy fish but make sure you have plenty of hiding places-they can get aggressive!

Back
Top Bottom