Corner filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MABJ

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm trying out a new filter. It has a little basket for carbon and floss fiber. When starting the filter up, carbon started popping out. Is that normal? Some flecks are scattered around the tank now. If you want to look it up, it is a lees triple flow small corner aquarium.

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be too worried about some small flecks of carbon around the tank. Unless your fish start eating it, the water has to run through carbon anyway. And if you just set it up today, some small bits probably got through--my assumption is it's an initial sort of thing.

If you continue to get flecks of carbon, you might want to call the company up and ask if that's intended. I know that older filters, like when my mom was young, you put the carbon in the basket, and then also put the cotton/cloth mesh over that and then the floss fiber, instead of like how the cartridges work for a lot of filters. I would imagine without that proper coverage flecks of carbon would get out too.

Corner filters are a very old and very outdated type of filter. There are so many other good choices for filters that you can replace that with. Even if you need a small filter, there are some in-tank filter options that should work for you.

Sure, but they are very inexpensive and effective!

1) Carbon isn't really necessary in an aquarium filter unless you need to remove medication that you gave your fish. I have minimal to zero carbon in my aquarium filters right now.

2) Those corner filters are only effective for mechanical (filter fiber) and chemical (carbon) filtration. They aren't really effective for biological filtration, which is the buildup of beneficial bacteria that will consume harmful ammonia and nitrItes and convert it into less toxic nitrAtes. It also happens that the biological filtration is the most important filtration in an aquarium.

So yes, they are cheap, but no, they aren't effective.

I asked nothing about your opinion on that part of the filtration. I already spoke with a trusted aquarist on its effectiveness. She assured me it was a good biological filter. Not mechanical.

MAJB:
Welcome to AA.

IMO James is just trying to provide more information (Based on his experience) to you with no harm intentions, but rather to help you to see a different point of view.

If you don't like the advice or the info, just ignore it, no need for a harsh answer.

He has replied harshly to my posts elsewhere. Typically, I'm docile.

ejaramillo01 said:
MAJB:
Welcome to AA.

IMO James is just trying to provide more information (Based on his experience) to you with no harm intentions, but rather to help you to see a different point of view.

If you don't like the advice or the info, just ignore it, no need for a harsh answer.

Likewise to people who merely dispense their opinion as if it were fact. I've had some other people do the same thing, and when giving advice you ought to know -how- to give it. That is as important as the advice you give.

The thing about advice is that you can give it, but it is to be given with the understanding that the person has a choice to make and the decision is ultimately up to them.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but I cannot deny that his/her answer had nothing to do with the question MAJB asked. And if extraneous advice is to be given, do so politely. "In my opinion," "In my experience," "So, I recommend this instead", etc. A lot of people on this site could learn from that.

MABJ said:
I'm trying out a new filter. It has a little basket for carbon and floss fiber. When starting the filter up, carbon started popping out. Is that normal? Some flecks are scattered around the tank now. If you want to look it up, it is a lees triple flow small corner aquarium.

To answer your original question, it's best to rinse any new media under running water to eliminate excess/minute materials left behind during the mfg process.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

CoyoteWildfire said:
Likewise to people who merely dispense their opinion as if it were fact. I've had some other people do the same thing, and when giving advice you ought to know -how- to give it. That is as important as the advice you give.

The thing about advice is that you can give it, but it is to be given with the understanding that the person has a choice to make and the decision is ultimately up to them.

Nothing about what I said was inappropriate. I looked back at what I typed, and I didn't throw out any ad-hominem attacks or treat anyone poorly. All I did was state the facts.

In my first response in this thread, I mentioned that corner filters are an old and outdated method of filtering a tank that give no thought to biological filtration. How is that not factual? I also mentioned that there were other choices that would be much more effective.

If they were still a good, effective means of keeping a tank clean, then you'd see them quite often in LFS and chain pet stores. I've looked at filters in PetCo, Pet Supplies Plus, PetSmart, and three LFS that I frequent, and I've seen a grand total of one corner filter for sale. One.

I work in a corporate environment that tact is always the norm (and PC runs a muck). However, you can't sugar coat everything. I'm sure that MABJ knows it's his choice to buy and use that filter, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't point out that there are better options available that he could look into, some of which are relatively inexpensive. I'm not suggesting that he drops over $100 on a canister filter; there are HoB and in-tank filters that are around $20 or even less that would suit his needs and be a much better option.

MABJ said:
He has replied harshly to my posts elsewhere. Typically, I'm docile.

I don't reply harshly.

Since I do in your eyes, I'll try to avoid any thread that you start.

I'm sorry my posts have annoyed you.

You could buy a mesh filter bag and put your carbon in that. I have a canister filter and do that so that no stray pieces of carbon get sucked through the impeller. You may not need carbon, but I like having clearer and completely odor free water in my tank.

I agree with ya there. My water is clean, my puffer is green and everybody is happy.

1) Carbon isn't really necessary in an aquarium filter unless you need to remove medication that you gave your fish. I have minimal to zero carbon in my aquarium filters right now.

2) Those corner filters are only effective for mechanical (filter fiber) and chemical (carbon) filtration. They aren't really effective for biological filtration, which is the buildup of beneficial bacteria that will consume harmful ammonia and nitrItes and convert it into less toxic nitrAtes. It also happens that the biological filtration is the most important filtration in an aquarium.

So yes, they are cheap, but no, they aren't effective.

Well I don't use carbon either, I see no point, unless trying to remove medicine but have used box filters for years, in fact they were the standard setup for years. You can still get double stacked ones str8 from China for $16. The old ones had compartments, tubes didn't run down center, can not find these anymore. I see no difference in box filters than running a hydro sponge, or one of those internal power filters where you have to buy supplies that fit only that model. We have a local shop with well over 75 tanks every one has a hydro sponge setup, guess what they don't sell? Yeap, sponges. They are more than happy to supply Bio Bags for an external filter, HOB, at an expensive price, guess they don't want the 5 to 8 buck filter cost per tank per month but it is OK for you. I have a Chinese knockoff of the internal filter that the Bio Cube uses. I buy only pillow stuffing from WalMart once in a blue moon as I can wash the stuff out so a little goes a long way. I been running this filter for 5 years not one problem. Yes it eats space in the tank but it replaced a messy, pain in the butt to clean, canister filter with the expensive filter sleeves and filters. Other than the canister could polish the water I haven't missed it. Youbetcha box filter get labelled old school when you asked at a local store. The biggest fad, over hyped fad, is the Bio wheel. Had one on the output of my canister, ran it, tested the water, ran it with it removed, tested the water, no difference in water tests. I don't agree box filters, sponge filters are not effective, biologically. Those pricey power head internals filters are the same thing and pet stores don't bad mouth them.

Wow, what's with the thread necromancy? This one was done for almost a year.

I see no difference in box filters than running a hydro sponge, or one of those internal power filters where you have to buy supplies that fit only that model.

There's a huge difference between box filters and almost all other filters on the market - water flow. A box filter is powered with an air pump using air to force water through it, while internal power filters or hydro sponges are powered with a motor that can move significantly more water through them. Therefore, a box filter is incapable of equaling the filtration power of any of the other filter types (except the weak Whisper filters that are also run by an air pump).

Another difference is technology. Over time, better methods of growing a healthy bacterial colony in filters have been developed. I would take the sponge and ceramic rings in my AquaClear filters over filter floss from Wal-Mart any day.

We have a local shop with well over 75 tanks every one has a hydro sponge setup, guess what they don't sell? Yeap, sponges.

Every fish store I've been to, chain or otherwise, has sold sponge filters. Why your local shop won't sell them is beyond me. :huh:

They are more than happy to supply Bio Bags for an external filter, HOB, at an expensive price, guess they don't want the 5 to 8 buck filter cost per tank per month but it is OK for you.

If you ask any knowledgeable person on these forums, I'm confident that the consensus would be to NEVER replace your filter media monthly. In fact, you should only replace it if it's fallen apart to the point that it's unusable. Even at that point, you should still put some of it back in with the new filter media to help regrow your bacteria colony on the new one.

Therefore, you don't have to spend $5-8 monthly on filter maintenance. In fact, you may not even have to spend that yearly, depending on how long your filter media lasts.

I haven't changed the filter media in my AquaClear filters since I got them, and haven't had to. Just give them a shake and squeeze monthly in old tank water during a water change, and they're good to go. ;)

Yes it eats space in the tank but it replaced a messy, pain in the butt to clean, canister filter with the expensive filter sleeves and filters.

I can't imagine any set up where you could replace a canister filter with a box filter. Canister filters are for large aquariums and move a ton of water versus any of the other choices out there. No box filter that I've ever seen would even come close to moving that much water through it.

Honestly, if you prefer box filters, good for you. Buy them and use them to your heart's content. I was only pointing out in this thread that there are better options for filtration that aren't expensive.

Wow- old thread.

James- stop being so hostile! ;)

A corner filter would be fine if your breeding shrimp or snails. Outside of that... Umm. Although in several heavily planted tanks, a simple foam filter and pump is all you need w/ light/medium light. fish load. I can run 20 inches of messy fish being overfed twice a day in my 55 gallon and it doesn't even blip my radar- having a hell of a time cycling because the plants eat it before the bacteria can. :(

And canister media expensive? Only if you want it to be. I might have $2 worth in my 4 chambers (excluding my unnecessary carbon).

I prefer to use carbon because I basically get it for free and it makes my water crystal clear. No real benefit outside of asthetics for me.

Back
Top Bottom