Corys and gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmodell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!
I have 4 Corey's in a 10gallon and I have small national geographic substrate gravel. Is this okay for them? Or do they need sand? The lady at Petco said it would be fine but.....

Taylor

I have 3 cory tanks and have always used gravel, mine corys are perfect as long as it's not sharp as that will damage there barbels and cause a lot of problems, if it's smooth they will be perfectly fine, Sand is good for them but If like me you don't want sand tanks smooth small gravel Is fine

Sent from fish phone

Corydoras and Gravel

Hello!
I have 4 Corey's in a 10gallon and I have small national geographic substrate gravel. Is this okay for them? Or do they need sand? The lady at Petco said it would be fine but.....

Taylor

Hello t...

Good for the lady at Petco. Standard pea-sized aquarium gravel is fine. That's what I use in all my Cory tanks. A 10 gallon is a pretty small tank, though. Corys like a lot of room to forage around looking for bits of leftover food the upstairs guys missed. Consider a larger tank, if possible.

B

If you ever decide to give them smooth sand you can see this.
http://youtu.be/tPOvOije4vQ

Some species get big. What species of Cory did you buy ?

No matter what substrate, for catfish you need to keep the substrate very clean or it can cause damage and infection which will erode their Barbels.

I prefer Dwarf species for small tanks. I keep C habrosus and C pygmaeus.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422575974.274607.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422575996.441288.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Im a huge fan of eco-complete. It will not hurt your corys and will allow for solid plant roots.

As others noted, small smooth gravel is fine (sand is better IMO), but it absolutely must be kept clean. It's easy for food particles and waste to slip down into the gravel and fester, so be sure to vac!
Cories like to be in groups and can be fairly active. personally I think a ten gallon is too small for them, so maybe an upgrade in your future :)

Back
Top Bottom