Couple of questions and stocking for a 30gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oakleyguy89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, first time poster and first time setting up a freshwater aquarium. I used to have a 55gal SPS dominated reef tank but I had to get rid of it a couple years ago do to moving away. Anyways I want to do a 30gal, I went to the LFS around here and it seems like the pre-built aquarium kits are the way to go since they want $50 just for the tank itself :blink:. I want to have this as a community/planted tank with low light plants. I know I want to keep java moss in it along with some cherry reds but I don't know what else I should stock this thing up with fish/plant wise. Thanks guys! :flowers:

It really depends what kind of kit you are going to get and if you really want the things that come with it. I'm pretty happy with the filter and the heater that came with the Marineland kit for the tank I bought. I think there's a lot of kits out there that leave a lot to be desired. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks, I do know that they have like a set of 10 used 10gal tanks with gravel filters for $12 each that needs some t.l.c. They tore down the tanks so they can use the area for reptiles. The kit i was talking about in the original post was the deluxe aqueon kit that comes with fluorescent lighting.

Most kits come with a heater that keeps temp at 76, but the filters leave a bit to be desired. I personally like running a filter that is 2-3 times higher than what the tank is (eg. A filter for a 60g on a 30g) and add an airstone for added surface irritation. Java moss is great for livebearers with natural hiding places for fry. Personally biased to molly's and guppies lol. You could keep 7-9 mollys easy. Sorry to hear about the sw tank. Keep us updated!

Thanks for the advice, what about those 10 gal tanks I was talking about? Are those a pretty good deal? I would probably buy about 2 of them and hook up my airpump with a splitter to both of their UGF and then I would probably add another small filter on them as well.

Again depends on what you want. 10g makes a good rearing tank for livebearer fry, but you could keep guppies or neon tetras in one too. Or a really spoiled beta ;). Of course you'll need a heater and whatnot but I'm sure you're aware of basic tank necessities

Yeah, its hard to decide! I think i might go with the 30gal kit and get some java moss going in it with guppies. What other fish get along well with guppies?

Thanks aston, do you know if they will breed in same tank if there is some java moss going?

Should breed no problem. I'm no shrimp expert tho lol. You can, depending on parameters, easily keep platies, mollys and tetras with them, but no barbs or other fin nippers lol. Cory cats rule too

hmm, well I went to the LFS and they dont carry cherry red shrimp but they do have some ghost shrimp. How are those? Also do you know if the guppies will breed if I had some tetras in there with them? Particularly some hatchets and some neon tetras with a pleco?

I have had no problems with ghost shrimp at all. Fantastic cleaners, will even "clean" a dead ghost shrimp if one dies lol. If you have a male and female guppy, they will breed, unless the hatchets are aggressive, which I don't believe they are. If you plan on male and female guppies have a ratio of three females per male otherwise the male will harass her to death. Or go all males with 3 or more, or all female. Be prepared to deal with lots of fry tho because guppies give birth about once a month! Lol

Back
Top Bottom