Creating a 20 gallon Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcidRainFalls

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have three male guppies in a 20 gallon tank. I am looking to slowly add some more fish, but am very weary of making bad decisions. I was thinking like 5 tetras next, but that seems like a lot. Is it really nessicary to have that many in a school? Are there any fish that don't mind being alone or in pairs that aren't semi or just plain aggressive. If anyone out there could give me some ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank You,
-Christina

If you were to use the general guideline of 1 inch of fish (at adult size) per gallon of water then you should easily be able to have 5 tetra. As long as it's the smaller tetras like neons/cardinal etc your tank should easily be able to manage the new bioload. You should maybe add 2 first then 3 more a week or so later if you want to be on the safe side.

5 tetra (or more) would be fine depending on species. With guppies, there will definitely be several species that you would want to rule out.

There's a ton of fish that would work in a 20 with guppies. Very smart to increase slowly! :)

The "guideline" of 1" per gallon is a terrible guideline that is still unfortunately used in stores. There are far too many variables to fit into any easy "rule". JMO

5 tetra (or more) would be fine depending on species. With guppies, there will definitely be several species that you would want to rule out.

There's a ton of fish that would work in a 20 with guppies. Very smart to increase slowly! :)

The "guideline" of 1" per gallon is a terrible guideline that is still unfortunately used in stores. There are far too many variables to fit into any easy "rule". JMO

Do not use the 1 inch per gallon rule. I would add a school 6-8 either harlequin rasboras or neon tetras and 6 panda cories or 4 kuhli loaches.

One of my biggest problems is my pet store doesn't have a very wide selection of fish.

On a sidenote any advice on plastic plants it seems I am too poor to afford real life plants at the moment lol.

Do you just buy the fish that you like assuming they fit in with the tank and the other fish or is there an Art to it?

Finally do schooling fish like tetras need to be kept in odd numbers or even numbers or does it even matter?

You need to research all fish before you buy them you can't just go buy some you think will fit. Tetras need to be in groups of at least 6 odd or even numbers don't matter. Did you ever cycle the tank?

Finally do schooling fish like tetras need to be kept in odd numbers or even numbers or does it even matter?

I've always kept them in odd numbers, but that might have something to do with my own sense of aesthetics (or my own OCD). When I do have even numbers, it seems like they end up splitting into two different, odd numbered groups (ie, 6 Neons form two groups of 3). This could just be my imagination though. Ultimately, I doubt it matters.

Back
Top Bottom