Curing Tanzanian/African Driftwood?? (ROOTS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
I picked up 3 great looking pieces of african driftwood yesterday from my local pet warehouse. Got one boiled last night, let it soak overnight, drained that water (looked like dk coffee) and filled the pot and put the heat to it again till it started to boil. Had to head off to work, so I shut off the heat and it's gonna soak till after work.
Q: Does that sound like enough to make sure all the tint leached out of the wood and any loose debris etc is washed off?
Anything else I should do or was that overkill? I have two more to go and one of them has to go in two times. One end then flip it over to do the other. Was going to try and get that done then soak them all one last time over night in a large plastic tub to make sure I've done all I can...
Does that sound right.
Scott:cool:

Are you talking about Mopani??

To get debris off, yes. To make sure no more tannins leech?? I doubt it. It leeches a long time. You've probably reduced it very well but I can't say that you won't see ANY tannins come out. The good news is, they aren't harmful to your fish.

Mopani

Are you talking about Mopani??

To get debris off, yes. To make sure no more tannins leech?? I doubt it. It leeches a long time. You've probably reduced it very well but I can't say that you won't see ANY tannins come out. The good news is, they aren't harmful to your fish.
I will try and get some pictures posted tonight in my photobucket so everyone can see what I got.

Back
Top Bottom