Curious about necessary tank sizes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mokapi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want a Fluval Edge, but if I'm going to spend the money on it, I want to make sure I can actually keep fish that actually interest me...which, for the Edge, would either be a single dwarf gourami (I've only seen the powder blue, red fire, and regular "dwarf"), or a pair of rummy nose tetras. Would either of those be okay?

If the Edge is too small, what size tank WOULD I need?

And in case anyone really has some extra time, these are the fish I'm interested in keeping...anyone know about how many gallons I'd need for them? I wouldn't keep them all together. I'd pick and choose depending on compatibility and how easy they are to keep alive.

- Any dwarf gourami (1)
- Bolivian ram (1 or 2)
- Rummynose tetra (2-5)
- Boesemani rainbow (1-3)

IF any of those fish are compatible, which ones and how large of a tank would I need?

Thanks! I'm just starting to get some more info while I wait around for my betta tank to be healthy :)

The edge is 6 gallons, right? If so, I wouldn't put any of those fish in one. There are lots of fish that are more appropriately sized for that tank, but none you listed. The edge is also quite expensive for a tank. You can definitely find a bigger, nicer tank for less money.

The dwarf gourami (which should be kept singly or in a pair), the rummynoses (which should be kept in a minimum of 6, preferably 8), and the bolivians (one or a pair).

The boesmani need bigger tanks, IMO 55 gallon is a minimum for them, some argue even bigger minimum tank sizes like 75 gallons.

If you were still looking at stocking your Fluval Edge, ember tetras are a nice fish to go with IMO, as are chilli rasboras.

Hey, I just set up an Edge as my second tank and found some a couple great threads on here with fish suggestions (I'd link to them, but I'm on my phone), just search for "Fluval Edge." some of them that the poster above named, are chili rasbora and ember tetras. Others I've seen mentioned are celestial pearl danios or CPDs, sparkling gouramis, and Dario Dario. I've got a small school of CPDs in there and a couple sparkling gouramis now, just added a few days ago and they're looking pretty comfortable. Also, font forget shrimp, ghost, amano, etc. they can make a really interesting addition to a small tank. Good luck if you decide to go that way, they can be very cool looking tanks.

Back
Top Bottom