cutting holes in glass canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
cutting holes in vinyl back of a glass canopy

I have a new glass canopy for my tank. I need to cut out the holes for the filters etc that I have. do I need to have any vinyl on the very edge of the back. for example, should I push the filter I have all the way to the side and then cut the hole or do I need to have vinyl on both sides of the filter? am I supposed to leave a little bit of space between the filter and the vinyl or can I have it a pretty snug fit. I am really nervous about cutting this thing!!
:thanks:

Your title is a bit misleading .... I read that as you needing to cut glass, which is much more complicated! People might be scared off from looking ....

As far as cutting the back plastic pieces on a glass top goes, you can place the holes anywhere convenient. Depending on what critters you have in the tank as to how snug a fit you need. If you have escape artists, you need to have a totally tight fitting joint. In that case, putting the filter right at the corner would not be a good idea ... since there will likely be a gap between the filter & the rim.

Incidentally, no need to stress too much about cutting the back piece. First - you can buy new pieces cheaply. <That is for when you mount new things on your tank.> And you can also DIY repair patches. <People use those plastic yarn craft grids & "sew" patches on with nylon or other inert lines.>

Your title is a bit misleading .... I read that as you needing to cut glass, which is much more complicated! People might be scared off from looking ....
QUOTE]
thanks! I changed the title (y) (or at least I tried to)

Back
Top Bottom