Cycle advise needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEATTLEWINTER

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I have had a tank cycling for 8 weeks now, it is cold freshwater and has 6 fish in it. for the last 2 weeks the amonia has had a reading of 1 to 2 , The Nitrates are at 40 and the nitrites are at 2 , as I mentioned its been like this since week 6 of the cycling process I change water every 1 to 2 days and treat with prime. Any advise would be really welcome

Ok.
How big is it?
Whats in it?
How cold is it?
How much water do you change?
How often and why?
What do you feed?
How much and how often?
What kind of test kit are you using?

If you can give us as much info as possible its a great help in understanding the situation as a whole.

Welcome to AA!!

the tank is 25 gallons,
it has goldfish and a couple of red caps 6 fish in total
i change about 6 gallons every other day to keep amonia levels down
i feed a variety of bloodworm,brine shrimp, flake and pellet just a little twice a day
im using an api master test freshwater kit
Ill have to get a thermometer to take the temperature.

Redcaps are gf too right?
If so you are way overstocked.

Ease up on the feeding for now....just once a day and what can be eaten in around two minutes or less.That will help the bacteria catch up.

Keep changing water to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels below.5 as well...but temp match and declorinate the water first.

Also vacuum the gravel if you have not yet.

You may want to consider a different filter than the one you are using now, at least one rated for 30Gallons and throw in some more gravel and a couple plants.

I was in your boat about two months ago, my son brought some feeders home from a wedding and I just bought a cheap ten gallon starter after watching them suffer for a few days in a small vase.

Just keep up with the water changes and remember to do a thorough vacuming of the gravel as mentioned and you should be okay.

Take Care & Good Luck!

Update

2 weeks since i took you advise all levels including nitrates are back to 0 except amonia which is sitting around 0.5 is this normal?

regards

Jason

YOu should have at least 10 gallons per fish for those 6 goldies. They produce a lot of waste.

Re: Update

SEATTLEWINTER said:
2 weeks since i took you advise all levels including nitrates are back to 0 except amonia which is sitting around 0.5 is this normal?

regards

Jason

.5 on the ammonia is high. All 0's is the goal except for nitrates which should be kept under 40ppm. Goldfish produce a lot of waste and my experience in dealing with that and ammonia is a %50 waterchange every five days to pick up the excess bioload.

Back
Top Bottom