cycle and Ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cconnel1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
been cycling my tank and i just checked my water levels yesterday, my nitrite and nitrate are reading 0 but my ammonia is somewhere between .5 and .25 and my ph is around 7.6. so is my water safe for fish yet, and if not whats my best plan of action here.... thanks

How long have you been cycling? I'm guessing you are doing a fish LESS cycle? You're readings should be 0 ammonia & nitrItes, <40 nitrAtes. What are you using as an ammonia source? I wouldn't add any fish until your BB is able to process 4 ppm ammonia down to 0 in a 24 hr period 2 or 3 days in a row.

I think its safe to say your tank isn't cycled. I also assume your doing a fish less cycle. What is your cycle routine? I think you may be missing a few steps, which has caused your cycle to stall but we need more info. Did you add ammonia after yesterdays test? Plus all the questions Shell asked.

i am actually doing a fish in cycle with feeder goldfish (i know not the best idea but im a few weeks in already) so that is my ammonia source

cconnel1 said:
i am actually doing a fish in cycle with feeder goldfish (i know not the best idea but im a few weeks in already) so that is my ammonia source

Fish IN can take 6-8 wks to complete & with Goldie's you'll have a bigger bio load so its even more important to test daily & do water changes. I had one tank that didn't show nitrItes until week 6 & they lasted for 2 wks, it took 8 wks to complete the fish IN cycling.

What size tank and how many fish and how large are they? What test kit are you using? Strips aren't very accurate. Unless it's a fairly large tank or/and the fish are very small I would think you'd be seeing higher ammonia levels by now.

I've got a 55 gallon tank and I've got 5 goldies that are about 1 inch. I am also using the API master kit

Back
Top Bottom