Cycle anxiety -_-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JengoJengo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I am about 1.5 weeks in with the new 55 African cichlid tanks. I had established media from another tank, so I was hoping for a relatively easy cycle.

Ammonia went to 0 after a few days and has stayed 0.

The past few days, me readings have been:

Ammonia 0
Ph 8.2
Nitrite 3-5
Nitrate from 10-30

This morning, nitrites were up again to 5. Did a 75% wc. 3 hours later, tested again, still bright purple, 3-5.

Ack! I tested both taps, nitrite and nitrates 0, so it isn't that. Used 2 different tests, same result, so it's not that.

I am treating with prime and stability, added aquarium salts as well to reduce stress.

It's a 55 gallon with 6 2" cichlids. Temp steady at 78.

What should I do? Is my cycle stalled out? Each day I think that I'll see a drop in nitrates because of the presence of nitrates, but no dice!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Edit: meant to say that each day I hope to see a drop in nitrites because of the presence of nitrates.

The nitrite phase just takes a long time! Keep doing those water changes, and dose with prime every 24hrs to help protect your cichilds from the nitrites.

Ok thanks! I didn't have this fancy test kit with my last tank that I cycled, and I'm starting to think that was a blessing cause watching the levels is stressing me out! Lol

I just had the same issue, my nitrites were off the chart for about 6 days but once they started coming down, it happened fast. I went from 5.0ppm (Possibly higher since that's the max on the test kit) to .25ppm in about 4 days! And now, nothing, zip, nada...just clear blue water in the test tube.

It'll happen!

Keep in mind that the nitrites will cause the nitrate reading to be higher. Just increase the number of water changes to keep everything healthy, they can easily be done every other hour or so.

It's crazy how fast they spike back up though. I did a 90% change, and within 3-4 hours, it was back up to 5ppm!!! I dosed prime to detoxify, as I can't do 90% wc 2x a day

It's crazy how fast they spike back up though. I did a 90% change, and within 3-4 hours, it was back up to 5ppm!!! I dosed prime to detoxify, as I can't do 90% wc 2x a day

It sounds like your nitrites are "a little" higher then max on test!
I would keep changing large amounts(75-90) daily or as often as possible and using the prime.
Salt also helps fish with nitrite poisoning.
You don't need much;
Nitrite salt calculator

My nitrites just won't quit. I added salt, and continue with water changes and prime.

Salt can help prevent nitrite poisoning.

I've tried 2 different tests.

If you're still seeing 5ppm nitrite after a large water change then you have to have a huge concentration of nitrites in the water. Honestly, if I was at your point I would be doing 50% water changes back to back until the nitrites go down.

For your nitrites to get back to 5ppm immediately after a 90% water change they had to be in the realm of 50ppm.

Cut feeding to once every 3 days.

Do 50% water changes every other hour until the nitrites are down.

This will get the nitrites down to manageable levels.

Lastly, you can test the actual volume of nitrites by doing this:

Take out 1 cup of tank water and mix thoroughly in each container.
Container 1 - 1 cup of tank water
Container 2 - 1/2 cup of container 1 & 1/2 cup of container 2
Container 3 - 1/2 cup of container 2 and 1/2 cup of tap water
Container 4 - 1/2 cup of container 3 and 1/2 cup of tap water
Container 5 - etc, etc, etc

Test nitrites down the line and you will eventually get to a legible reading on your nitrite test.

If you get a reading of say, 3ppm nitrite out of a given container then you can calculate the nitrite level of the tank since you will be halving the nitrite concentration in each dillution.

Container 1 - 3ppm
Container 2 - 6ppm
Container 3 - 12ppm
Container 4 - 24ppm
Container 5 - 48ppm
Container 6 - etc.

Following that, you will see how many 50% water changes will be required to get the nitrite level down to where you want it.

It's not immediately after. Right after its down to .25. But the next day, right back up to bright purple.

If you're still seeing 5ppm nitrite after a large water change then you have to have a huge concentration of nitrites in the water. Honestly, if I was at your point I would be doing 50% water changes back to back until the nitrites go down.

For your nitrites to get back to 5ppm immediately after a 90% water change they had to be in the realm of 50ppm.

Cut feeding to once every 3 days.

Do 50% water changes every other hour until the nitrites are down.

This will get the nitrites down to manageable levels.

Lastly, you can test the actual volume of nitrites by doing this:

Take out 1 cup of tank water and mix thoroughly in each container.
Container 1 - 1 cup of tank water
Container 2 - 1/2 cup of container 1 & 1/2 cup of container 2
Container 3 - 1/2 cup of container 2 and 1/2 cup of tap water
Container 4 - 1/2 cup of container 3 and 1/2 cup of tap water
Container 5 - etc, etc, etc

Test nitrites down the line and you will eventually get to a legible reading on your nitrite test.

If you get a reading of say, 3ppm nitrite out of a given container then you can calculate the nitrite level of the tank since you will be halving the nitrite concentration in each dillution.

Container 1 - 3ppm
Container 2 - 6ppm
Container 3 - 12ppm
Container 4 - 24ppm
Container 5 - 48ppm
Container 6 - etc.

Following that, you will see how many 50% water changes will be required to get the nitrite level down to where you want it.

Wow! Thanks for all the great info!

Nitrites still high. Doing all the water changes needed to keep them down for fish, but the next day, they're always right back up there again, 5ppm.

Are all these water changes stalling my cycle?

Nitrites still high. Doing all the water changes needed to keep them down for fish, but the next day, they're always right back up there again, 5ppm.

Did you do the test i recommended to see your nitrite concentration?

Did you do the test i recommended to see your nitrite concentration?

Yes.

Test 1, 100% tank water- 5ppm, bright purple
Test 2, 50% tank water- 2-5 ppm, still bright, but not as bright.
Test 3, 25% tank water- .25-.5 ppm, light blue to light purple

What do you advise?

This is after doing a 75% water change 24 hours previously.

Yes.

Test 1, 100% tank water- 5ppm, bright purple
Test 2, 50% tank water- 2-5 ppm, still bright, but not as bright.
Test 3, 25% tank water- .25-.5 ppm, light blue to light purple

What do you advise?

This is after doing a 75% water change 24 hours previously.

Sounds like another 3 water changes should be done in the near future.

I don't think its stalling your cycle. I told you when you started its harder to cycle with this many fish. What I think your seeing is high amounts of ammonia being converted to nitrites while they're just not getting turned to nitrates fast enough causing you a bottle neck of nitrites. Just keep up the water changes, keep up the prime and wait on those nitrates to start raising faster ridding your trites. I also suspect a little bit of over feeding.

You will get it, best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom