Cycle problems...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, tested today at 3:30 pm est. and these are the results:
Ammo: 0ppm
Nitrite: looks to be way over 5ppm
Nitrate: 40-80ppm maybe higher (sucks being red-green color blind)

Should I dose more ammonia? Or no because the nitrites are pretty high.

Attachments

• 7-16-12-330pm.jpg
    7-16-12-330pm.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 55
Ok, I am only going to redose ammonia every 48 hours instead, I think im making to much nitrite and the bacteria cant keep up with the nitrite to nitrate conversion. Tank is eating 2ppm of ammonia pretty fast, average of 10 hours, though. My pH dropped to 6.4 and kH is 1 degree, my nitrates are 180+ and nitrites still high.

It's time for another big water change to bring your ph & kh levels back up & drop your nitrites down before redosing ammonia. Your cycle is very close to being complete but the ph & kh drops can slow or stall a cycle so they need to be addressed. Without a wc, they will drop further and your cycle will stall completely. Keep us posted! :)

Sounds good, I am going to do a big water change tomorrow morning, i just filled 2 5 gallon pales to sit overnight with the prime in, and to let the temp come up to room temp.

ok did a 75% water change at about 11am, dosed 2ppm ammonia and now 6 hours later have .25ppm nitrites, 40ppm nitrates, and .50 ppm ammonia. pH came back up to about 7.2, kH came back up to about 2-2.5 degrees. seems the nitrites really took a plunge with the water change.

Ok, did a test at 32 hours after the water change, Nitrites look to be at about .25-.50ppm, nitrates 40-80ppm, pH looks to be about 7.0, kH dropped to about 1 degree already. Should I reodose ammonia at 48 hours?

Attachments

• 7-23-12-7pm.jpg
    7-23-12-7pm.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 47
Thats great that you have a big increase in nitrates! Yes, go ahead & dose your amm at 48hr mark. I am bit concerned your kh is dropping so quickly- have you considered adding a buffer to your filter to help stabilize it to some degree?

no, what is a buffer? I remember reading about adding crushed coral or somthing to that effect. Thanks.

Yep! A buffer such as crushed coral, argonite or even crushed seashells/oyster shells or cr limestone will help to keep you carbonates steady (KH). You can add a small amount in a mesh bag or piece of pantyhose in your filter to help. :)

Ok, well I added some crushed coral later in the day tuesday. Now 24 hours after adding 2ppm ammonia, I have 0 nitrites 0 ammonia! I think I am real close now. How fast does 2ppm of ammonia need to be nitrate in? 12 hours?

Thats great!!! Ammonia needs to be converted to nitrate within 24hrs- if it happens sooner, thats fine, too! Do you plan on fully stocking this tank at once or gradually? If you want to stock it at once, you will need to gradually work on increasing your ammonia. Increase the dose by .5 (total 2.5ppm) tonight and if everything zeroes in 24hrs, up it to 3ppm (then 3.5, then 4). Keep us posted! :)

ok, in 24 hours 2.5ppm ammonia turned into 0 nitrites 0 ammo. Im going to try 3ppm tommorow morning, because I wont be back untill sunday night.

Ok, so I did a 100% water change on saturday morning and got the nitrates down to 10ppm, waited 24 hours to add fish the next day on sunday, but my local fish store was closed. I was all ready to add fish so, I said screw it and I just put in 2 ppm ammonia and now 24 hours later I still have .50 ppm ammonia and .25 ppm nitrites. What happened? I did the water change with 5 gallon pales and did my double dose of prime, and had to temp lowered to 78F. Why did my tank stop processing the ammonia as fast?

Did you lower the temp at once rather than gradually1-2 degrees at time over a few days? If you did it at once, your bacteria likely got a bit of a shock. You will need to wait for them to recover before considering fish or switch to a fish-in cycle.

Crap! I did change the temp rather quickly. Im glad I dident add fish yet. I turned the temp up to 82 for now to see if the BB can recover.

OK, did a couple big water changes got the nitrates down to 5ppm and slowly lowered the heat to 78, im ready to add my fish! I plan on 5 emerald green cory's, 1 dwarf gourami, 4 bloodfin tetras, 4 cherry barbs. It might be slightly overstocked, but im starting my 38 gallon soon. and can transfer one of the schools or something. lfs opened at 12 pm tommorow, gonna get some fishies.

Back
Top Bottom