Cycle Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFragile

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, so please do not crucify me, I am brand new to the aquarium world and got my son a 6.5 gallon tank. I was told some bad advice from a few different sources (including pet stores) regarding how to set the tank up. Certainly did my research, but apparently did not look in the right places, SOOOOO... I am cycling with fish.

In my 6.5 gallon tank, I have 4 neon tetras and 3 ghost shrimp as well as a single live plant. I set up the tank with the fish probably a little over a month ago. I have a master test kit, and check ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate daily. I do partial water changes (25%-50%) every other day or more if needed. My ammonia levels seem to rise about 0.25ppm daily. I use Prime dechlorinator to treat the water before it goes in the tank.

I am also adding Stability for the bacteria to try to help it along. I only feed the fish a teeny bit a day, no more than they can eat in 5 minutes. Everyone seems happy and healthy, but I cannot seem to get past this phase. My next step is to head to the fish store to see if they will give me something from an established tank to help it along.

Is there anything that I am missing here as to why my bacteria just doesn't seem to want to establish? Also, what should I ask for as far as something from an established tank? A piece of filter? Where do I put it once I get it? In my current filter? Thanks in advance!

I had the same problem with my 55 gallon but my ammonia would NOT drop done from 8.0 and every fish I put in there died. So after reading on here I bought some tetra safestart it kind of expensive (7$ for a little bottle!) but it did wonders.. I have 2 hydro sponge filters in my tank and now my tank is fully cycled and fish are no longer dying. And all I did was do a 90% water change because my ammonia was way to high to rely on a chemical to cure it all. And after added 5 capfuls of prime and tetra safestart and let it sit for about a week. Checked water levels and everything started to cure!

NOTE : ALL OF THIS WAS DONE WITH 4 FISH IN MY WATER! AS WELL AS FRY.

Aquatic plants love ammonium and will absorb it as a fertilizer before nitrates (which their terrestrial relatives have evolved to prefer).

Depending on which plant you have (some are hungrier than others), that could be reason your tank is cycling so slowly.

I had a similar situation when I first started. I never even cycled my first tank. I added a few plants, threw in the fish and couldn't figure out why my tank wasn't cycling. I think, more than anything, I was lucky.

I would try to get some filter media from an established tank to jump start your cycle.

not gonna crucify you, just gonna give you some honest advice. the tank is really too small for neons. bare minimum would be a 10, but i would suggest a 20 gallon long. also, they are not very well suited for a fish-in cycle. my experience with them is that they are best added to an established tank.

my suggestion would be to, if possible, purchase a 20 gallon long and return the tetras, at least temporarily.

if you have a mom and pop type fish store in your area, you may ask them to give you some beneficial bacteria. this is typically done by squeezing out some media from an established tank into a bag...then you bring the bag home and dump it into your tank. this will give the cycle a serious kick start and save you a great deal of hassle.

if you happen to live in massachusetts, i actually have a 20 gallon tank that i will gift you and your son. if not, you may want to check your local craigslist for free or cheap tanks.

if none of this is possible, you may want to consider bringing back the neons and using the 6.5 gallon as strictly a shrimp tank. ghost shrimp are also sensitive to ammonia, but with them alone, producing a small bioload, you may be able to keep them, assuming you keep up with the frequent water changes.

also, how long has the tank been running? are you cleaning or changing out the filter media? if you are, then stop.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom