Cycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flvol77

Aquarium Advice Regular
first of The (almost) complete guide has been great - I am at J - I did my first PWC - around 50 to 60%

Put in the prime, filled back up, let it run for 30 minutes, tested the ammonia in order to know how much I needed to dose it back up to 4 ppm

Got it back up to 4 ppm - but here is something I find odd the Nitrites and Nitrates are still sky high after the water change, the Ammonia when I tested it was around .25ppm before dosing back up.

Any thoughts? I have kept a log of everything I have done so far, the one mistake I have is I have carbon in my filter (fluval 406) which is coming out tomorrow as I ordered some more bio foam and bio max.

Thanks

I just finished with my cycle and my nitrites and nitrates were sky high as well through the entire thing. All worked out for me, my nitrites were higher than a readable level a few days ago and one day I tested it and they were all gone.

Welcome to AA!! Make sure you test your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, too, so you know what you are putting in your tank. Pretty normal for nitrite and nitrate to reach very high levels but keep an eye on everything because high levels for lengthy periods of time can stall a cycle. Once they reach very high levels, a 50%wc will not even make a dent in the numbers and frequently larger wcs are necessary to keep things progressing. :)

Back
Top Bottom