Cycle Question???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UNIT-344

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been doing a fishless cycle for 5 weeks. At this point my Ammonia when I dose it up to 4ppm is back to zero in about 12 hours. I also have a ton of Nitrites and Nitrates (Off the chart API test Kit). So I did a 50 percent water change last weekend. Now my ammonia is still converting to zero super fast (about 12 hours) Nitrites are still off the chart, but Nitrates are at about 5 to 10ppm (which is a significant drop to what they were). Does this sound right? Just seems like the 50% water change didnt bring down nitrite levels, any suggestions, or will Nitrites magically disappear? Thx PS I try not to let ammonia levels get low but its converting super fast. At this point I am dosing in morning and night.

What is your ph?

Overkill with the ammonia though and this is actually stalling your cycle. Do a large (90%+) water change, wait half an hour and retest your nitrite. if it has not dropped to a readable level (1ppm or less), do another big wc. Once it is readable, just add 1ppm ammonia (no higher), a few pinches of crushed fish food and wait 3-4 days. Do NOT add anymore ammonia. In 3-4 days, test your levels and let us know how things look! Nothing is going to 'starve' or die or anything, so do not worry!!! :)

Did two 90 percent water changes. Got the nitrites to 1ppm and nitrates to 20ppm. I dosed ammonia back to 1ppm and did a couple of pinches of crushed up food. So exactly what is my game plan now. I saw you told me to wait a couple more days then retest my levels. Ph is at 7.8 also. Since there is zero ammonia now. What should my gameplay be from here on out with the ammonia and everything else. Thanks.

Keep the ammonia dose very low if you havr to add any at all. Small pjnches of food will keep the bacteria alive, sounds to me like your cycle is progressing as it should. The nitrite will definitely disappear. The nitrite bacteria formation takes longer than then ammonia.

Ok so just tested my water and ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrates are 20. Should I redose tank tank ammonia to 4ppm, wait 24 hours and if ammonia and nitrite are 0 do another 90 percent water change and add fish the next day?

Ok so just tested my water and ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrates are 20. Should I redose tank tank ammonia to 4ppm, wait 24 hours and if ammonia and nitrite are 0 do another 90 percent water change and add fish the next day?

Yep exactly.

So I did the 24 hour test and my ammonia went to 0 from 4ppm, but nitrites are back and off the chart! What should I do at this point?

If nitrites are off the chart, a big wc to bring them under control. Wait half hour and retest your levels. Try to bring your ammonia/nitrite levels down to 1-2ppm (or less) and then just leave things be. Test again in 24hrs and let us know how things look. :)

Ok did major water change. Got ammonia to 0 and Nitrites to .25. I added in a pinch of fish food. 24 hours later ammonia 0 and nitrites 0 ph about 8.2 (same as what comes out of my sink) and nitrates at 20 ppm. I just added a small amount of ammonia to get to about 1ppm. What do u make of this?

To keep nitrites under control, just keep dosing ammonia up to 1 ppm, until the nitrobacter bacteria can keep up (the ones that "eat" nitrite). BB can live for a good few days without ammonia.

Ok I dosed my tank up to 1ppm yesterday. 30 minutes after I tested levels and had ammonia at 1ppm and nitrite was up to 1ppm. 24 hours later both are at 0. Now what? I'm afraid if I dose tank back up to 4ppm the nitrites go through the roof and stay there. Cause I wanna stock my tank when I put my fish in. What should I do? Thx

I dosed to 1ppm again so I'm gonna wait till tomorrow and hopefully get 0 nitrites. Then ill up the ammonia to 2ppm and see what happens. I did a test last week and redosed to 4ppm and my nitrites went way off the chart. So I had to do a huge water change to get them readable again. So I think I'm just gonna up the dose slowly, and continue to make sure nitrites are zero within 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom