Cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reddog80p

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When setting up my aquarium to start cycling I add everything I want to have in the tank period (gravel,filter,ornaments,heater,air stones). I have a Aquaclear 200. Which of the inserts do I put in during fishless cycle? I would obvisioulsy put the sponge in. I also have a Ammonia remover insert which says ideal for new or heavily populated aquariums, which is shown sitting directly on top of the the sponge in the ac200. And I have a BIOMAX filter Insert which shows it sits on top of the ammonia remover at the top of the ac200. I also have a activated carbon insert which shows it should above the sponge and under the BIO-MAX. So I am assuming that the Ammonia remover is only used for starting a tank and once the tank is somewhat "established" it is removed and the activated carbon insert is used regularly in it's place?

I want to do a fishless cycle so would'nt the ammonia remover be pointless to use?

Thanks for taking the time to read all that,

Reddog80p

I want to do a fishless cycle so would'nt the ammonia remover be pointless to use?

Yep. Activated carbon can be nice to pull out meds or polish the water but it's not neccessary. I would double up on the foam pads and add more bio-media like balls or ceramic.

Thanks for taking the time to read all that,

Thanx for taking the time to do a fishless cycle... :)

I agree. Toss the Ammonia remover and put in the ceramic rings. Store the carbon in case you need to remove meds sometime.

Ok, So double up the foam and put the biomax filter insert(ceramic rings)in the AC200 also. Now just a couple more quick questions. After the fishless cycle is over, then do I put the ammonia remover in or should I put the activated carbon insert in? Do most of you who have HOB filters, keep the atviated carbon insert in always or just when you want to remove meds?

After the fishless cycle is over, do not use either. You can toss the ammonia remover completly. In a cycled tank you should never have ammonia present. When introducing new fish you may have a slight spike but just do a water change and you'll be fine. Introduce a few fish at a time and you don't have problems. Keep the activated carbon bag but do not put it in the filter. Carbon is really only good for removing meds or tannins. I don't use it in any of my tanks but I have a box of it on stand by in case we ever have to medicate the QT.

Back
Top Bottom