Cycle question, I know, I know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I have looked EVERYWHERE for starting the fishless cycle with fish food, (since the closest place that would have pure ammonia is 100 mi away), and I can't find any info on it. How often am I supposed to put food in? When should I start seeing ammonia readings? Etc. If anyone knows where an article on this is, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!:rolleyes:

problem with food is its hard to control and isnt a exact sciences. i got some at walmart before you really checked all the hardware stores and grocery stores?

I would add just a pinch every two days or so. If you want something to read here is a short article about fish food cycling. Scroll down to "Another Form of Cycling the Aquarium is without Fish" and that should explain a bit about the fish food method.

A shorter article mentioning the shrimp method can be found here.

MGamer- I live in a town of 400 people lol. There isn't much at the hardware or grocery store! Next city is 100 miles.
Satrix- Thanks a ton! I just used a little food and some bloodworms 2 days ago and my nitrAtes are at a perfect level and no ammonia or nitrite.

I think you can order the Ace Hardware brand ammonia online and they'll ship it to you. I'm not sure but I think they do it. Might be worth checking out.

Back
Top Bottom