Cycle question on a tank that's "0" out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

locorosa

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am 16 days into a fishless cycle on a 92 corner bow. I used seed material from my own established tank (some rock and plants decos, plus dirty filter junk) to seed and things were looking good.
I noticed yesterday when I tested the water that my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates were all at 0 before I dosed the tank with ammonia. I added the ammonia and waited about 10 hours to see what was happening. The readings were:

ammonia 1+ (almost a 2 but not quite)
nititrite 2
nitrate 2

This morning over 12 hours later, the reading are back to 0 again. The ph is 7.2 and the temp has stayed a balmy 82*-84*.
Surely I can't be done already? Am I stalled? What should I do?

Attachments

• new_tank_1_506.jpg
    new_tank_1_506.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 32
normally, I cycle on fish food and stuff from other tanks for about two weeks...
You have gone 16 days, I think it looks good!

Are you using the AP master test kit?
I suspect you're cycle's done (wish mine would hurry up), but the 0 reading on the NO3 doesn't seem right to me. If you dosed in several ppm of ammonia, and in 24 hours it's gone and no nitrItes, that typically denotes you're cycled. 16 days is completely doable from what I understand. I just don't see how you have 0 nitrAtes is all. All of the ammonia eventually gets converted to nitrAte, so it can't just be gone.

Also, unless you're NO3 is up >20 or so, I don't see a need to PWC, unless the readings are suspect.

One more thing, unless you plan on keeping fish that want warmer water, you're going to want to bring the temp down and let it stabilize before stocking.

What substrate is that in your pic, BTW?

I am using the AP master kit. I started four days behind you but after the first week I began to notice I was "catching up" to you in your cycle log. Then almost two days ago my ph dropped to 6.4, went back up and everything went to 0 the next day.
My nitrates in my established tank are right at 5ppm sometimes less so I suspect there is something in our water here. I also asked on another aquarium site and was told with artificial cycling (without fish) that can happen and with weekly water changes until that stabilizes the fish should be ok.
I have already turned down the heater a bit and will probably take a couple more days before I add the goldies. I am also testing 2x today as I did yesterday and keeping my fingers crossed.
I read your latest post and I think your tank is just about done. I would say it's done but don't know for sure. I can tell you what some of these other boards recommend for buffering the ph. I tried it in my established tank and have had good results. a pinch of baking soda. There will be those that disagree I am sure but I added it almost two weeks ago and the ph has buffered and fish are happy. I dunno if it will work with Tropicals though.
The "stump" came from Petsmart and the slate came from an old flower bed outside....washed in the dreaded 'soapless dishwasher" Lol! Fake plants from old tank...

Either way I think you're definately done cycling and safe to move forward, it's just really odd in my understanding that your NO3 is so low. But, if your other established tank runs the same way, even better for you!

The gravel is what i was curious about. I'm looking for a good black/charcoal colored substrate to put in another small tank I want to house a blue lobster in.

Don't want to hijack your thread, but with my tank I think I'm close too, I've just been saying that for a week and am starting to get frustrated. The pH out of my tap is 7.5, so I don't want to have to add anything, would rather it just stay there with my weekly PWCs. I was just wondering if the low pH was affecting the cycle is all.

Congrats on your successful fishless cycle! Did you post your planned stocking list somewhere? I don't recall, would love to hear what you're planning on putting in. You said goldies, that your plan?

Yes. I have 4 goldies already and will add one or two more. One of the goldies I have now will be going to another tank, in another store...lol. Hubs doesn't know yet.
I didn't notice it affecting my cycle BUT the ph dropped right as my cycle was finishing so perhaps that's what yours is doing as well.

I have plans for the 35 hex after the golds move out and I believe we are going with tetras. A few cardinals and such...

Hijack away, I did it to you.

The gravel came with the tank but I have the receipt and it was 35lbs of charcoal and 10lbs of pearl. It came from a lfs around here, not a chain.

I wonder if we'll be so obsessed with these posts after the tanks are "done"...lol.

So it's just like the standard stuff they sell at LFS, good to know. Thanks for the info. I'm debating that or tahitian moon sand for my little crawler, but I'm a ways away from that project yet...

You make a good point, it'll be interesting to see how we post after we get fully established. I suspect, at least in my case, I'll get MTS, so I'll probably be here for a while :lol: Is there a shot or something I can get to prevent MTS? I'm sure my wife would appreciate it. haha

By the way, that driftwood kinda looks like an alien to me. Oddshaped head with big eyes. I like it. Reminds me of ET

Your wife and my Hubs should start a group...MTS Anonymous or something like that...
I will be around for a while as well as I am putting tropicals in the other tank.

We kinda liked the E.T. as well. It's hard to decorate with goldfish and get away from plastic. They are so much like horses or goats...eat, eat ,eat everything. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom