Cycle reading High numbers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RiverMango96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys first time doing a fishless cycle. I have used fishless fuel to start the tank along with mrtims one + only nitrofying bacteria. (Amonia is reading at 2-4ppm) (Nitrites are reading between 0.5-1.0ppm) and (Nitrates are 20-40ppm.) I'm concerned that everything is just too high and there's bubbles at the top of my tank next to my filter cuz of the amonia spike.

36 gallon bowfront

Lots of plants (some swords, red rubins, water sprite, money wart, javafern, red root floaters)
2 medium and 4 small pieces of driftwood
Caribsea gemstone Creek Gravel and Aquasolumn Black Humate
3 1lb peices of wonderstone
Half a cap of flourish was added 2 days ago.

What do I need to do to get the 0, 0,under 20 reading?

You have been doing your fishless cycke less than a week? The process typically takes 6 to 8 weeks. You might not see any movement for a couple of weeks.

There is nothing there that i wouldnt expect to see. Seeing nitrite and nitrate is a positive step and signs that your cycle has started to progress

Patience.

These are my numbers so far.

Attachments

• 20211120_114134.jpg
    20211120_114134.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211120_111939.jpg
    20211120_111939.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 20
Just read through that article. As a newbie I really appreciate all of your patience because that is truly what I am lacking. I've had goldfish for about 3 years and this is the first time I am actually putting in the effort to start up the tank properly for a betta sorrority community tank.

Between Aquarium Co-Op
KG Aquatics
Prime Time Aquatics
My local exotic freshwater fish breeder
And you Aiken

These are my main information resources.

Between Aquarium Co-Op
KG Aquatics
Prime Time Aquatics
My local exotic freshwater fish breeder
And you Aiken

These are my main information resources.

Social media is the way the hobby is going for getting advice. My opinion is a forum is more of a community and is a valuable resource for resolving specific issues and also getting different opinions over a broader spectrum of personal experience.

May i suggest Big Als YouTube channel. The hosts Thomas and Brian had a great thing going before they got sacked. I miss their live Q+As and Thomas Reacts series (I was featured on Thomas Reacts).

How do u feel about the people who attempt betta community tanks?

Im not really a betta person. I have an eye on a small desktop tank to keep one, but something keeps getting in the way. I understand betta sorority tanks require a level of expertise. If people know what they are doing i dont see an issue. Perhaps a thread specifically about betta sorority tanks may help you with any concerns.

Back
Top Bottom