Cycle stalled again? ...but where is the ammonia going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Strange indeed. Once my nitrites got going, my nitrates immediately shot up to about 5. That was a week ago. Since then, I've been adding enough ammonia each day to get my tank up to 2.0 ppm. The next day when I test, the ammonia is gone, the nitrites are up around 2 (maybe a bit higher, but it is hard to tell because the next color on the scale is 5, and it isn't close to that color), and nitrates are at 5. So, again, every day, I'm adding 2 ppm of pure ammonia, and 24 hours later, I get the same readings:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 2
Nitrate: 5

So my question is, where is my ammonia going? Logic, and my understanding of the chemical process that takes place, says that it is converted to nitrite. And then nitrite is converted into nitrate. But the nitrate is not increasing. So I am confused. Thoughts? (other than: "be patient." I know the cycle doesn't happen over night. I just want to know what is going on chemically because it doesn't make sense to me)

EDIT: Here are some added facts, in case this helps anyone diagnose what is going on.
-I initially dechlorinated the water with the free sample of Tetra Aquasafe that came with my kit. I later added less than 5% of water that evaporated. I dechlorinated that with Aqua Plus.
-My test kit is the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals liquid test kit.
-ph: 7.8
-Temp.: 78

I can't think of any other info that might help. I can only think of a couple of explanations:
1. My test kit is bad. Seems unlikely since it is such a highly recommended kit. If I can't figure out what is going on, and these levels last much longer, I will bring some water to the lfs to have them test it.
2. Some other chemical in my water is combining with either the ammonia or nitrite to make some compound other than nitrate that my test kit does not detect. (which is why I mentioned what dechloriators I am using, in case someone knows something I don't know about these brands)
3. ...or this is just normal, and I don't understand as much about the process as I think I do.

Otherwise, I'm baffled.

the nitrate readings are going to be off because your getting a NO2 reading.. I would ignore that figure (I wouldnt even test unless I could get a zero for NO2.. try the tapwater and see if it has any NO2/NO3).. in other words dont worry about NO3 untill you get your NO2 down to zero.. keep track of how much NO2 is being converted and when you get up to 10 ppm or so (assume that its converted to NO3) do a water change..
your assumption that the NH3 is being converted quickly to NO2 is correct.
HTH

One thing to take into account (and it is probably minor), is you stated you added enough ammonia to raise the NH3 level to 2ppm. While this works initially, once bacteria develop, it will take more ammonia to reach that same level. If you added (for sake of clarity we'll say 10ml) of ammonia the first time to reach 2ppm. It will take more than 10ml a week later as some bacteria is being converted before you can test (if you are testing before at least 15 min has passed your readings will be off anyway). That could explain why you're not getting any ammonia readings and higher NO2 readings. What is your tank setup? Size, and any flora/fauna in there

Back
Top Bottom