cycle taking waaaaay to long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I started cycling my 8g halfmoon tank about 2 months ago. Things were going well but then ammonia would get down to around .5 and wouldn't budge. A couple weeks later i added some aquasoil. I knew i would have a spike somewhere from the soil but its been close to 3 weeks and ammonia is at 8ppm. That's not all. I do big water changes to get it down and by the next day its BACK UP. I need help. IM getting really impatient with this thing lol

8 PPM is high enough that it could be stalling the cycle. How large are your water changes? It may be necessary to do a couple large ones back to back. Are you adding ammonia or anything?

severum mama said:
8 PPM is high enough that it could be stalling the cycle. How large are your water changes? It may be necessary to do a couple large ones back to back. Are you adding ammonia or anything?

I've done a couple of 70% water changes but never one after the other.

I'd start there and see what happens. Are you adding anything to the tank?

severum mama said:
I'd start there and see what happens. Are you adding anything to the tank?

I've add excel one or two times. I've noticed a film on top of the water every now and agàin which i have heard can be groups of bb that's not holding on to ànything

Just regular ammonia from the store. i have already uses the same ammonia to cycle one tank. Should i rinse out the media?

jetajockey said:
Aquasoil can give an ammonia spike.

That's what i figured :/. But i didn't think it would last this long. I think i should rinse out tthe media because some of the powder from the soil might be in it

Im no expert by any means, but do you know if your ammonia is pure? Once I decided I was doing a fishless cycle and wanted to start the cycle by adding ammonia I was told by several members to be sure and use pure ammonia, I was recommended the ace janitorial strength because that's what members have had the best luck with. The ammonia shouldn't have perfumes, surfactants or anything in it, just pure ammonia. I've also read, either here or in an article somewhere.. Can't remember where lol, but the way to see if it's pure is if you sake the bottle and you see bubbles or foam at the top then it's not pure and if you don't see anything then it's pure. If im wrong on this someone please correct me!

Mrs.h2012 said:
Im no expert by any means, but do you know if your ammonia is pure? Once I decided I was doing a fishless cycle and wanted to start the cycle by adding ammonia I was told by several members to be sure and use pure ammonia, I was recommended the ace janitorial strength because that's what members have had the best luck with. The ammonia shouldn't have perfumes, surfactants or anything in it, just pure ammonia. I've also read, either here or in an article somewhere.. Can't remember where lol, but the way to see if it's pure is if you sake the bottle and you see bubbles or foam at the top then it's not pure and if you don't see anything then it's pure. If im wrong on this someone please correct me!

Um pretty sure it's pure. IM not concerned about the ammonia though Cuz it has worked on another tank. Thers just something going wrong in the tank that i can't figure out :/

So you are adding ammonia at this time? Was trying to figure this out earlier.

severum mama said:
So you are adding ammonia at this time? Was trying to figure this out earlier.

No i haven't been adding ammonia for about the past 3.5 weeks. It just keeps coming out of nowhere. I have plants in the tank but none of them look dead

As severum momma suggested, try to do several big water changes back to back like 50-75% the amount of ammonia you have is probably just way too much got the BB to handle and there for stalling the cycle.
Are you using strips or liquid test kit? And what water conditioner are you using?

Tcal01 said:
I didn't think otos would leech out that much though. I am using api master test kit and a kordon water conditioner

Have you tested your tap water to see if there is something odd going on with your water source?
I don't know any thing about the aquasoil I use floramax and haven't had any problems with it, and I use prime water conditioner.
From my experience (I have always gotten great advice here)some one is saying it is the aquasoil you should definitely investigate that. Look it up and read reviews on it. That very well could be your ammonia problem.

Nimo said:
Have you tested your tap water to see if there is something odd going on with your water source?
I don't know any thing about the aquasoil I use floramax and haven't had any problems with it, and I use prime water conditioner.
From my experience (I have always gotten great advice here)some one is saying it is the aquasoil you should definitely investigate that. Look it up and read reviews on it. That very well could be your ammonia problem.

My tap is fine. Ill definitely investigate the soil. Should i rinse my media though

Tcal01 said:
My tap is fine. Ill definitely investigate the soil. Should i rinse my media though

I don't think rinsing the media will do any harm but with ammonia that high not sure it would do any good either.
Rinsing media will sometimes help with nitrates along with water changes but not sure it will help with the ammonia.
I would try doing large water changes first to get the ammonia down to at least 1 ppm then let it set over night and see what it is tomorrow. If the ammonia seems to climb over night with with out you adding it, you might want to look into changing out that substrate.

Nimo said:
I don't think rinsing the media will do any harm but with ammonia that high not sure it would do any good either.
Rinsing media will sometimes help with nitrates along with water changes but not sure it will help with the ammonia.
I would try doing large water changes first to get the ammonia down to at least 1 ppm then let it set over night and see what it is tomorrow. If the ammonia seems to climb over night with with out you adding it, you might want to look into changing out that substrate.

Do you think capping it with sand would help?

Back
Top Bottom