Cycle with fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tardis1973

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am awaiting for my test strips to arrive and was wondering how often i have to do a water change.
Fish were introduced on 20/4/13
I have 2 female guppy and 1 male guppy along with 5 fry in 30 ltr tank.
Tank had been running for three and a half weeks fishless. Had treated with filteraid and tapsafe.
Please help :ermm:

I am awaiting for my test strips to arrive and was wondering how often i have to do a water change.
Tank had been running for three and a half weeks fishless. Had treated with filteraid and tapsafe.

Well first of all I'd probably get an api master test kit as the strips are known to be very inaccurate, but since you don't know the parameters i would do 50% pwc daily at least.

Test often, change water often. The only way to tell is to test your parameters often. I answered your question on the strips in your other 2 threads. I'd toss them and get a API master freshwater test kit but if the strips are all you get or afford then we can work with those.

Fish in cycles can be done you just have to put the time in....

I've had experience with both test stripes and liquid tests and I agree with everyone thus far - get an API test kit if possible....so well worth the money! If you have a fish-in cycle, I would personally do about 25%-30% water changes every two days, unless there is a spike in ammonia or nitrite...then I would do more frequent water changes (i.e. every day until the spike goes down). Once you have good 0 readings for both ammonia and nitrite, and some readings for nitrate (I waited for five days straight to get these readings - but that's just me!), then I would slowly add fish (about 2-4 per week - depending on size and current stock). Testing can be annoying - but it is well worth it as these little finned babies' lives are in our hands!!

PS - do you know anyone who has an established, healthy tank? If you could score some of the media from their filter that would help the fish and the cycle move along! I don't think it wold be too late to do this, if it is possible :)

Just checked tank this morning.

Ammonia levels 0
Nitrate & nitrite levels virtually 0
Cl2 virtually 0
Ph 6.8
Kh 6
Gh 4
Is this ok ?
Pls help

Unless you had an ammonia source those first three and a half weeks, you can't really count that as time spent cycling.

Back
Top Bottom