Cycle won't start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laceyfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gal tank with one shubunkin goldfish. I plan to get another one, but I read never to add more fish until the cycle is complete. But... I started the tank over a month ago, and it seems the cycle hasn't even started yet. Every time I test the water, the test results are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates (using a API liquid test kit). My pH is high (8.4) but steady. I have been doing 20% water changes every other day. I use SeaChem Prime to condition the water. My tank has a bubbler and a 70gal filter. Is there something I'm missing?

The prime detoxifies everything in the water for 24 hours you may be getting false readings if you test too soon after adding prime. Also your test kit could be out of date. I would recommend testing your water everyday and don't change it till you start to get ammonia readings.

I always do my water test right before adding Prime, so I don't think I'm getting false readings.
I hope my test kit isn't out of date... I only bought it about a month ago. I don't have the packing anymore so I can't check for a date.

Are you following the instructions on the test kit exactly?

Mine says that you have to wait five minutes after adding the chemicals to the samples for the colors to develop.

Also, make sure you're shaking the nitrite (nitrate?) bottles like the instructions say.

How big is the shubunkin? If he is just a baby, there may not be enough ammonia being produced in combination with the water changes.
If you are absolutely positive you are testing correctly, continue to test daily but reduce your water changes to once a week. If your ammonia starts to spike, then start doing frequent water changes again to keep toxins in check. Keep us posted!

I'm pretty sure I'm following all the directions. I have another tank (10 gal) that I started a fishless cycle in. I have been getting ammonia and nitrite readings in that, using the same test kit.

My shubunkin is only 1 1/2 inches long. It would make sense if the ammonia is too diluted for the test to catch.

Today the tests results are all 0, but I'll keep you posted! Thanks for the advice!

Are you using API's master test kit? Or are you using strips?

Back
Top Bottom