cycled double filtered tank gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had gravek but want sand for my corys. Best method to replace gravel with sand. Best way to ckean the sand, and what type/ ho much for a ten gal? Also is cleaning a sand bottom much more difficult? One more thing should i add at least an inch? I know reef tanks do better, bit this is a freswater tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110601_210850.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110601_210850.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20110601_210915.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110601_210915.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 74
  • ForumRunner_20110601_210943.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110601_210943.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 76
My personal experience is that sand can be very messy and hard to clean, I originaly had sand and never had clear water, as soon as my water was clear i would move someting or perform a pwc and again the tank would appear very cloudy again. you may want to add some sand as it will be a good home for your good bacteria but I dont think its neccesary although I do see a handful in every tank in some fish stores.

If you want sand only you will need to take everything out including fish and one you put the sand in wait a day or two for the sand to settle before adding any fish.

Make sure you wash both sand and gravel very well before you introduce it to your tank, also if you buy sand make sure its aquarium sand. Just to add I have 3 aquariums and I dont use sand in any of them, but its self preference, but gravel is certainly easier to clean imo.

Would a finer grain gravel be better? I'm just concerned that my cory cats could damage their whiskers on my gravel, as its pretty chunky gravel, prolly for like, a betta tank or somthing..again, I'm not concerned about messy cleaning so much, just my fishes health...also, maybe just doing a section in sand... or is there a super fine gravel that's not sand... sorry, I know lots about fish, but not much about substrates, a minor overlooked detail I guess, thanks also for your fast reply :)

I have recently changed a tank from gravel to sand. I think sand is much cleaner! It may go a bit cloudy when you move things (this is not harmful to fish), but that is nothing compared to the loads of gunk that hide in gravel no matter how well you vacuume. Food and poo sit on the surface of sand and is easy to remove (most of it actually get sucked up by the filter).
Step 1. Clean your sand. Put it in a bucket and rinse until the water running off is clear. This can take awhile.
Step 2. Put all of your fish in a large bucket with tank water.
Step 3. Remove plants, decorations, and most of water from tank.
Step 4. Remove gravel.
Step 5. Siphon the rest of your tank water. (You will be shocked by the gunk that turns up)
Step 6. Add well cleaned sand.
Step 7. Refill tank.

If you decide to go half gravel and half sand you will need some sort of divider or they will eventually mix together.
Your cories will LOVE the sand.

Back
Top Bottom