Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Womble1234

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys, what is cycling? Hear me out, I know its a stupid question, but when I bought my tanks I just waited 2 weeks then started adding new fish each week.. I have kept fish for ages and have ever had any die at the start.. Atleast 6 months before the old ones died :).. My Lfs never said what it was? Thanks

Cycling is the formation of beneficial bacteria that grow to break down Ammonia. Fish waste produces Ammonia which is very harmful at elevated levels. You want to keep it below 0.5, more like no higher than 0.25. As the Ammonia begins to convert you will see Nitrites form which are also harmful. You need to do regular water changes to keep these two levels down until you see Nitrates. Once the Nitrates form and start to convert the Ammonia and NO2 and you have zero readings, you will be on your way to being cycled. LOTS of good information on these boards and a lot of posters have links to properly cycling a tank both with and without fish. Read up and get yourself an API Master Test Kit to test your water.

Oh.. My dad does the changing Ahha he's good.. He checks the readings each water change 25% a week and he dips these bits of paper, they change colour and then you compare it to the ideal ph and temp and stuff.. Everything is fine, so I am cycled?

hey :) well cycling is a process that creates benifical bacteria so fish can live in stable environment. it also highly important too! cause with just puting fish in right when you first get a tank setup they will most likely get sick or die. benifical bacteria is good. they eat ammonia waste produced by fish. which is converted into nitrites. (ammonia and nitrites are highly toxic to fish). nitrites are then converted into nitrates which isnt as lethal unless in numbers over 20ppm. there are many ways you can cycle a tank.
1) fishless cycling

2) fish in cycling

both are very common ways. but the perferred method is fishless. simple because your not putting the fish at risk and its healther for them too. now I there are links that I know some members will chime in with.:) now some pet stores will sell stuff like stabize or different instant bacteria in a bottle type stuff..so you introduce fish instantly. ive never had luck with it and no else has. I think there a waste of money. cycling doesnt take 24hrs. it gereally takes 2-4 weeks.. I hope this helps you and remeber there are no stupid questions here!:)

Womble1234 said:
Oh.. My dad does the changing Ahha he's good.. He checks the readings each water change 25% a week and he dips these bits of paper, they change colour and then you compare it to the ideal ph and temp and stuff.. Everything is fine, so I am cycled?

if your cycled your readings should be 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and a trace of nitrates:)

Back
Top Bottom