cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teakwood

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im doing my first fishless cycle I got my test kit in yesterday, the tank has been set up for about a week I added some good old filters from my 10 gallon for seeding material, I also put a couple cups of gravel from the other tank in a sock (is that stupid? I didnt want the other colored gravel mixing in) I put some seeding material in 5 or 6 days ago and more 3 days ago. I tested my water for the first time yesterday ammonia was maybe 7ppm so I did a 50% water change to lower the level and it re tests at about 2 or 3 ppms. No readable nitrites or nitrates. Thoughts? suggestions? super appreciated thanks.

It'll take more then a week to get trite readings usually. Are you adding an ammonia source though? And the sock bring is fine lol.

i did add a tiny bit of ammonia before I had my test kit just to hopefully help things get moving and to feed my bacteria, I know it was potentially risky adding it with out being able to test at the time... I just retested everything since its been 24 hours since I did the water change, I *think im getting a reading on nitrates, the test tube is not the same pure yellow it was yesterday its definitely got a tad more orange so maybe my ton of filter media I added is helping. I will see how it goes over the next couple days.

Another question, my tank came from a friend who wasnt using it. her dad had it set up for years, it came with a whisper 70 hob filter, an under gravel filter and an older canister filter that has been sitting for a couple years with old filter media in it. I set up the hob on one side and a portion of the undergravel on the other side in hopes it would help with the cycling process and help with good bacteria growth in the gravel. I plan on removing the under gravel filter before adding fish. I would like to get new filter media for the canister eventually but because I have an iron stand Im waiting because I have a toddler who is into everything and no where to hide the canister right now. should I just take the undergravel out and run with the one Hob? I think I will add another hob at some point also.

Ya take the undergravel filter out. That's the old school method now lol.

So no it probably wont help with the cycling? also Is it a good Idea to have lots of bubblers going while cycling?

Oxygenating the water is good but you don't need a storm of bubbles or nothing lol. The undergravel filter would help some but not enough that it will be noticeable imo.

Back
Top Bottom