Cycling 3 gallon quarantine tank - confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SNorlin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I have been trying to set up a quarantine tank, but I am confused by the readings after 5 days: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. This should good, but it has happened so quickly and I saw the high ammonia, but never saw the high nitrates, is it possible that the nitrites spiked and disappeared while I wasn't looking? Here is what I did:
-filled 3 gallon with water treated with conditioner
- old gravel that had been cleaned with hot water and then dried ( from my tank).
- placed 1 ornament and 3-4 plants from my current tank
- new power filter with new media insert
- sponge filter which I placed some gravel from my current tank into the bottom where you are supposed to place charcoal ( but I don't need charcoal as it will be a quarantine tank).
- heater turned up high to promote bacterial growth, no light ( got to 85 degrees).
- then on first day took a dead snail and placed in stocking and placed it into tank floating for 3 days.
- I then checked and the ammonia spiked, so I removed the snail and started only placing a small piece of food at night.
- 2 days later, I tested again, and 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates.

Have I done something wrong? Or really right? Don't want to kill any fish by accidentally placing them in a nun cycled tank. I have continued to place a small piece of fish food in the tank, just in case.

Please let me know what you think....

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How high did the ammonia spike?

I've cycled really small tanks several times, some just for the heck of it as I try to understand the process (and the claim out there in some places that tanks under 5 gallons don't cycle).

I find they do cycle very rapidly, in just a few days. And I've missed the nitrite spike too unless I check it twice daily.

Since at one point you saw ammonia I think you did it. You're probably fine, IMO. Good call on the gravel where the charcoal goes.

I am really new to all this so I could be wrong ... but I experimented a lot. My best recollection of what I've done at home is ...

I gallon "mini bow" ... I put a 1" square of filter floss pad on top of a new filter cartridge and dosed to 3ppm with ammonia. Within 24 hours I had nitrite and in 48 ammonia was gone. I kept dosing it to 3ppm for 3 weeks and it was always at 0 ammonia the next day. This tank hadn't previously cycled on its own after it was occupied for 3 months.

Did the same as above with a little gravel instead of filter floss. It went fast enough I missed the nitrite spike that time.

3 gallon tank ... The "now that I know better" rescuing a sick betta from his gallon tank. I cut a piece of filter floss pad half as big as the new cartridge in the new filter. The floss came from a healthy 30 gallon, nothing came from the sick 1 gallon. I never saw ammonia or nitrite, just nitrate.

10 gallon ... Same as above. Added one betta, never saw ammonia or nitrite just nitrate.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

The ammonia went to 4! The measurements have stayed the same: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and about 20 nitrates now even after having added 2 of my danios over for a few days ( going to be moving them back over soon, they hate the small tank poor things). The small tank now has a number if snails in it to maintain the cycle (ramshorn snails - have tonnes of them in my main tank for my yoyos). Thanks for the support and info. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It just goes to show that piece of seeded filter media kick starts the cycling far faster and more reliably the any bottles of 'live bacteria'.

I run a sponge filter in one of my show tanks, and when I have new/sick fish, I just fill the quarantine, and plop the filter in.

Cool. I was thinking of that too, less work. But now it looks like I will need it as my corydora a have placed eggs all over the tank, phew!

Back
Top Bottom