cycling a 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark shirah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
been doing a fishless cycle for 4 weeks. ammonia and nitrites peaked last week. did nothing for a week then ammonia went to 0 this morning. nitrites are still at 2.0. what do i do next? when do i do a large water change?

I'm still a n00b at this myself, but I think you just need to wait for your nitrite consuming bacteria to grow and convert the nitrites to nitrates. So you're waiting until Nitrites and Ammonia both read zero.

Just keep doing what you are doing it is going along fine. At this point, if you are dosing ammonnia you can have the amount you put in everday.

Once those nitrites go to zero, dose the ammonia one more time it should go back to zero ammonia zero nitrite in 24 hours. Do a massive water change and go buy fish.

Agree with rich, half the daily dose of ammonia. when the nitrites go to zero, and ammonia stays at zero despite daily half doses, your cycle is done. You can measure an increas in the nitrate as another confirmation. Then do a big water change and add fish!

Back
Top Bottom