Cycling a 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are the results (24hr mark).

Ammonia - .25ppm
Nitrites - 2.0ppm
Nitrates - 100ppm

I did add more ammonia to the tank and got it back up to 4.0ppm:)

Looks good! Your getting tons of nitrates so your nitrites are being converted but they are not quite up to speed yet. Hang in there! :)

Here are the results (24hr mark)

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrites - 0ppm
Nitrates - 120-150ppm

I've added more ammonia to the tank and got it to 4ppm

That's wonderful news!! Continue to dose ammonia once a day for the next few days- if you continue to get steady zeroes, you are officially cycled!! :)

Ammonia - 0ppm :D

Nitrite - 1.5ppm :banghead:

Not sure why it still spiked - so very dissappointed. :(

Your almost there! Has your ph stayed stable? Ph changes can affect a cycle negatively. Let's see how things look tomorrow. Keep us posted on how Bubbles is doing!

here are the results (24hr mark)

Ammonia - 0ppm:D
Nitrite - 0ppm:D
PH- 8.2ppm:D

Bubbles is doing pretty good. I can tell that his fin rot is starting to heal -slowly but surely. Also he really loves the Medi-Gold. He would pig out on it all day if I'd let him. Speaking of which, what do you reccommend the proper feeding schedule for him? How often should I feed him? Once a day, Twice day? and how much at a time? The label on the Medi-Gold just says to feed up to 14 days, which really isn't specific enough for me.

thanks

That is great!!!! Lets cross our fingers for continueing zeroes! I am glad Bubbles is starting to do better! Has his sweling gone down? When I need to use the medi-gold, I feed it exclusively 2x a day, just a pinch of pellets. Ive have never counted exactly how many pellets this is but a guess is 5-10 pellets (what i can fit between my thumb & finger). Its actually much less food than I normally feed but its a medicine, so it has to be used judiciously. Lets see how he is doing after 2 weeks and we will see if he needs further treatment. Heres the Goldfish Connections #'s if you have more questions- 814-864-3908/ 888-864-6919 :)

Ammonia - 0:D
Nitrites - 0:D
Nitrates - 120-150ppm:blink:

Bubbles' fin rot he healing really well. Even some of his black spots are gone. His swelling hasnt gone down though, but I think it was do to the water being to hot (78F). So I put a fan on top of the tank too bring the temp down. Right now its at 70F.

Wonderful numbers!!! That's great! I am glad Bubbles is improving! As you just started the meds, we really need to give them sometime to work. Smart move dropping the temp- I am sure he appreciates it! Another 2 days & you can move him if you want (after preparing the tank).

Basically, you will need to skip adding the ammonia after it has zeroed

Sorry! This new phone does whatever it wants to!! Ok- skip adding more ammonia after it has zeroed & do a 90-100% water change with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. It may take more than one big water change to drop your nitrates down to your tap level. Make sure the new tanks water matches temp of his tank water. No nets to move him- use an open-mouthed pitcher full of his water. Let the new tank run for hr before moving him.

Then, I would start dosing the small tank daily with ammonia to keep it cycled in the event he needs to be moved back for other treatment beyond the med food- or keep him in the small tank until he is completely healed up & continue to dose the big tank until he is ready for the move. I hope this makes sense!! If I confused you, just let me know!

Results (24hr mark)

Ammonia - 0:D
Nitrite - 0:D

Bubbles is healling really well, but his face is still swollen. I really thought bringing down the temp would help him with it but is hasn't worked. Any Ideas?

Thanks so much for you help jlk. Yes, I hope I can keep him in the 10gl tank untill he is healed. I have made contacts with the GAB forum and they are looking into it. Turns out someone else is having the same problem as me and ended up taking their fish to the vet.

I am glad you are finding help! Please keep us posted on how Bubbles is doing! I am keeping my fingers crossed for him!!

Back
Top Bottom