Cycling a New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kvplas969

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey everyone, happy Monday!

I recently started up a 10 gallon fresh water tank (sand & live plants) and i'm in the process of cycling it. So far, I balanced my waters pH levels (they're above 7) and i've added my live plants. I used bacteria from a friends existing tank to help speed up the process as well. (he has similar fish to what I will have, Loaches and Rasboras)

My question is - Should I use this Safe start stuff? I know it has the proper live bacteria, but am I at the point in this cycle process where I can add it?
For reference, I only started the tank yesterday. Filled it - balanced my pH - and added the live plant life. But I don't want to do anything too fast or potentially ruin the habitat for my future fish buddies.

IF I do add the safe start, how long until I should consider doing a water change & adding fish? Any help would be greatly appreciated! If I can figure out how, i'll add a picture for reference.

Thank you and have a great week all!

Hello Kv...

Putting chemicals into the tank water other than the standard water treatment isn't the best approach. You'll get many opinions on cycling, some good, some not so much. Have you considered a larger tank? The larger the tank, the better your chances for success.

B

Hello Kv...

Putting chemicals into the tank water other than the standard water treatment isn't the best approach. You'll get many opinions on cycling, some good, some not so much. Have you considered a larger tank? The larger the tank, the better your chances for success.

B

Hey Brad!

I did consider a larger tank, though this will be the first one i'm starting up for a few years & more importantly the tank has sentimental value because my self proclaimed "fish expert" buddy built me a some sort of cliff side look alike on the back of my tank using cured aquarium safe paint and some kind of aquarium safe epoxy/foam board. If I can figure out how to post images i'd love to show you.

Tank picture

Here I finally figured it out! This was when I first put water in it and set the filter

Attachments

• 1BD60163-7096-4550-95A1-3B1FFA864173.jpg
    1BD60163-7096-4550-95A1-3B1FFA864173.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 64
Hello again Kv...

I can tell you how I cycle a tank using fish. There are other ways, but this is fast and allows you have fish in the tank from the very beginning. Okay, you set up the tank and introduce some floating plants like Anacharis, Water lettuce or Hornwort. Allow the tank to run without fish for a few days. At the end of a week, introduce 3 to 4 small fish for every 10 gallons of water you want to cycle. Feed the fish a little every day or two and change a third of the tank water every three to four days for a couple of weeks. Then, change half the water every few days for as long as you have the tank running. If you want to add a few more small fish later, then increase the amount of water you change every week. Keep up with the water changes and you'll have no problems.

B

Intriquing post @BBradbury. This may explain how my local fish place can keep 300 1.5" goldfish in a 55 gallon tank?
CHANGE THE WATER OFTEN
I'm a completely new at this...so when changing water, just dip water from the top of the tank and throw it out? Then pour treated water back in. That's it?

I'm heading to the LFS today to get some Anacharis and/or Hornwort per BBradbury's advice.

So if I change the water every few days, say 20-25% in my 20 gallon tank, I wouldn't have to do those tests? (Ph, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia) It'll just cycle thru naturally ok?

Ya it will and that's a good schedule but I always like to test and see what's going on. Mainly because it seems that everytime I get nitrites they spike on me from day to day and I end up doing 50% water changes daily or more for a little bit.

And you'll want to test to know when it's actually cycled. Probably not absolutely necessary but good peace of mind and you can take preventative measures to correct the water before you kill the fish.

Cycling...

I recently adopted so to speak a new 30 gallon tank
New set up
3 small tiger barbs
2 tin foil barbs
And 2 plecos orange
Currently in week 4
All seem to be thriving but my nitrites and nitrates are dangerously high
Ammonia 0 and ph are normal range
Did 50 percent water change which lowered nitrates somewhat
Rinsed filter in aquiriam water but realized I might have cleaned too much on the bottom of the tank
What should I do to get those nitrites and nitrates down and is this a normal cycling issue?
Thanks

You'll need to do more water changes. 50% at a time. If this requires everyday changes then do it everyday. If it's still dangerously high do another 50% change back to back.

What is your nitrate and nitrite readings? Have you tested your tap water to see if you have nitrites and nitrates in it?

I've done another 50 percent water change
Added bubbler and another pusher
Nitrates dropping to warning level
Below 80ppm now
Nitrites still high slowly coming down but still at bottom of scale
Prepping a 54 gallon to put them in currently
Thinking the filtration I gave is working but maybe not quite enough media
(Charcoal and media mixed together biomax)
Shoukd I add a little aquarium salt to help
Anymore suggestions?
I will be doing another 50 percent water change again tomorrow
I'll keep you posted.
Ph still at 7.6
Ammonia at 0ppm
Thank you and if you have any other ideas please feel free to help
Thanks
Feeling a little better about this but still stressed until I get through this

Back
Top Bottom