Cycling a new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shark Bait

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
From what I understand it taks about 2 months to cycle a FW tank, correct me if I'm wrong. My othe question is what can you cycle with? I'm the type of person that doesn't believe in sticking chemicals into a tank. Now I heard you can use tetras to start a cycle but what do you recommend and how long to cycle for?

I am actually into about 4 weeks of my cycle. However I did not "seed" my aquarium from an established system. I used the raw shrimp method and it seems to be going good for me.
This is a good alternative if your not into causing fish any unnecessary agony!
There is also another method that I have seen being used here with pure ammonia,
if you do a search for fishless cycling you'll find plenty of info.
I'm sure others will respond to you as well, maybe with some good links for you.

I cycled my tank with 2 zebra danios, took about five weeks and never let ammonia or nitrite get over 1.0-1.25 ppm or 2 ppm respectively. No visible effects on the fish.

I have a 16 gal aquarium, and I stared off with 4 zebra danios.

My cycle took almost 4 weeks to even begin, and once it did, boy did I notice!! It took another 6-7 weeks once it started to finish it's cycle. I know a lot of people preach patience, but I know the feeling....it's very hard to sit by and wonder when will it start and when will it end.

I take these numbers as averages, not concrete. Just be prepared to do numerous water changes, even possibly daily when the spikes start to happen. I was changing about 10% water daily for a few weeks straight, but the good news is all my danios made it and I still have them today!!

You may want to do a search for Bio-Spira, it's a refrigerated 'real good' bacteria that can lessen the time of a new cycle tank. I was never able to find it when I started, but people swear by it.

Any other 'bottled' treatment other than Bio-Spira that claims it can cycle, I'd be very wary about. It seems most members here would agree those claims are bogus and all you're doing is cycling your wallet :wink:

You can use anything that produces 'poo' or organical waste to cycle the tank. We often do it just by 'feeding' the empty tank, ie put some flakes into it 2x a week or so. just the tip of a knife, not even half a teaspoon.

fishless cycling is much, much less stress......

and, yes, any chemicals stating to reduce cycle times should be looked very closely at.... if you need to cycle very fast, for instance, if some 'person' gave you fish as a present (...), the most effective way is to get java moss or filter material from a stable tank.

:)
silvia

i know you wanted a chemical free method, but i let my tank run for 24hrs adding stability, stress zyme and stress coat...

i have a 55gal with 3 mollies, 2 platys, 4 plecos, 12 tetras and 2 iridescent sharks...theyve been here from day one and i havent lost any fish...cept a couple feeder guppies :wink:

Back
Top Bottom