CYCLING A NEW TANK ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaowl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I set up my first 'new tank'(55 gal) last weekend. I seeded it with about 10 gals from another tank & filled with regular water(well water). There are 12 tetras, 1 rosy barb, & 1 betta in it now. To be moved yet are 2 pictus cats, 2 rapheal cats, 2 clown loaches & a bala & an irredisant shark.

My question is--there are white spots on the glass that resemble water spots. Tonite I felt the inside of the glass & these spots feel more like a lime spot? Do I just take my algae pad & wipe this off or is there something I sould do instead?

Thanks for your help

The water used from the old tank will not help in the cycling process. It basically does nothing. Watch for ammonia and nitrite spikes in the tank, you will be cycling this tank with fish which means tons of water changes.

Regarding the spots, I'd wipe it off.

Yeah, wipe the spots off.

But like Fishyfanatic said, your old water from another tank is not much of a biofilter seed. If there are no problems with the other tank, transfer some gravel to the new tank, and transfer some of the other tanks filter biomedia into the new tanks filter. This can cut down on the lenght and severity of the cycle. With luck and quality seeding, it could be minimal or nonexistent. Don't add any more fish until you are certain that nitrates are rising, with no ammonia or nitrite. If you get significant ammonia spikes, PWC's will be your new hobby! 8O

yes, i hope we just read you wrong and though you just added the water from the 10 gallon....but if this is right do exactly what tom said and congratulations on the new tank! :D

Don't expect many tetras to make it unless you seed with something else like another tanks gravel and definetly don't add any more fish until you have a full cycle.

Back
Top Bottom