Cycling a new tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sillygirl423 said:
Oh they are completely different from mine. Is it still ppm?

Yeah ppm. But that's only temporary kit till I get my api on in the post the api master test kit

Got api test but the 8 and 4 result look very similar. Gonna wait till tomorrow and recheck.

Hey did another test today. How does this test look to you guys. And I have flake food should I add this everyday or just once off.

Attachments

• image-3993877270.jpg
    image-3993877270.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 91
Looks like a good level to me :). I'd think maybe 2-3ppm? Hard to tell in a pic. You can just add the fish food here and there...no need to put it in constantly. Just be sure to ground it into as fine of a powder as possible. You can potentially get some mold problems if it is in big chunks.

What part of Ireland are you from? A good friend of mine is from Waterford.

Last edited:
eco23 said:
Looks like a good level to me :). I'd think maybe 2-3ppm? Hard to tell in a pic. You can just add the fish food here and there...no need to put it in constantly. Just be sure to ground it into as fine of a powder as possible. You can potentially get some mold problems if it is in big chunks.

What part of Ireland are you from? A good friend of mine is from Waterford.

Yeah thought that as well was just hoping it wasn't too high I'm going to start testing just from today. And yeah I've ground it nearly into dust. Ha.

And I'm from Dublin. Waterford would only be about 2 hours away.

Yeah, I think that color is perfect to shoot for. The recommended 4ppm is a bit of overkill, so shooting for closer to 3 than 5 is perfectly fine. I'll have to tell my friend that a fellow Irishman is here. Hopefully you're a little less high strung with your fishless cycle...I was afraid he was going to have a stroke at a couple points, haha!

eco23 said:
Yeah, I think that color is perfect to shoot for. The recommended 4ppm is a bit of overkill, so shooting for closer to 3 than 5 is perfectly fine. I'll have to tell my friend that a fellow Irishman is here. Hopefully you're a little less high strung with your fishless cycle...I was afraid he was going to have a stroke at a couple points, haha!

Haha I don't think I will be much better. I'm already stressing that nothing is happening. I'll need to figure out how much ammonia to put in as well when I top it back up.

Dublin!!!! Im not alone on this website..wooohoo
As long as a 6 pack of dutch gold is near by you will get through it hahahahaha
Im not kidding alchol ws my savior on many levels during my 2months of cycling a tank. Hopefully your tank will cooperate better than mine did. As long as you listen to every piece of advice Eco has to offer you will be grand.

Irish.OG87 said:
Dublin!!!! Im not alone on this website..wooohoo
As long as a 6 pack of dutch gold is near by you will get through it hahahahaha
Im not kidding alchol ws my savior on many levels during my 2months of cycling a tank. Hopefully your tank will cooperate better than mine did. As long as you listen to every piece of advice Eco has to offer you will be grand.

Haha. No your not any more. I've been checking it twice a day because I'm already fed up. Haha.

Haha. No your not any more. I've been checking it twice a day because I'm already fed up. Haha.

If your seriously wanting to commit urself to an asylum checking twice a day is gonna bring you to that point. Its a new tank so its gonna take awhile, did ya crank the heater all the way up? idk if you have seed material but if you dont try and go to the pet store and ask them wud they give you some out of there tanks maybe offer them a couple of euro lol it would seriously speed things waaay up.
I honesly didnt see anything move for about 2-3 weeks.

Irish.OG87 said:
If your seriously wanting to commit urself to an asylum checking twice a day is gonna bring you to that point. Its a new tank so its gonna take awhile, did ya crank the heater all the way up? idk if you have seed material but if you dont try and go to the pet store and ask them wud they give you some out of there tanks maybe offer them a couple of euro lol it would seriously speed things waaay up.
I honesly didnt see anything move for about 2-3 weeks.

Yeah I have the heater turned up good and I asked a few places today for some seed material and they said that's An old way of doing a tank should just use some stater fluid. And so I couldn't get any. I'll just wait it out.

Yeah I have the heater turned up good and I asked a few places today for some seed material and they said that's An old way of doing a tank should just use some stater fluid. And so I couldn't get any. I'll just wait it out.

Starter fluid?!!!!!!! like beneficial bacteria in a box?

btw i would highly recommend you not listen to ppl at the pet store, all they will try to do is give u crap info and your money.

Irish.OG87 said:
Starter fluid?!!!!!!! like beneficial bacteria in a box?

btw i would highly recommend you not listen to ppl at the pet store, all they will try to do is give u crap info and your money.

Yeah that's what he was saying. Why don't these people know anything though?

Yeah that's what he was saying. Why don't these people know anything though?

Ok...before you have a mental breakdown...avoid any sort of "starter fluid" cos when you using them you will end up thinkin ur cycled but actually all it will do is give you false readings and end up with dead fish, forget what lfs ppl say and persuade them to give u some old media.

Back
Top Bottom