cycling a new tank with established tank methods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazdaman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just looking for some different ideas on cycling a 55gal tank with "stuff" from my 20gal. The filter for the 55 is a rena filstar xp3. I have an aquaclear 150 and a fluvol 1 submers. filters on the 20gal.

I thought maybe letting the xp3 run for a day on water removed during water change.

what are some things others have done with success and is my idea good or bad? Thanks

just hook up the xp3 to the 20 and run it for a few days, and maybe move a decoration or a cup of gravel from the 20 to the 55. Also filter media can be transferred to the new filter

don't you think thew xp3 @ (man. rating) 350 gal/hour is going to have to much current for the 20gal? That was my worry on going that route...

hrm, i dont think so... I think the weakest swimming fish in there is the frog, and I have no problems with mine in my tank (170gph on a 10gal tank) atleast for a few days...

sounds good. I knew that was the easiest but i was worried about current. Worst case I can just use the spray bar and point it towards the glass to lower current.

Next question is do I need to run the filter on some other water (rinsing) before hooking it into the 20gal. Maybe like i said using water removed during water change that way any chemicals in the filter will have a chance to run off into the bucket not harming any fish. Thanks for the info guys...

Back
Top Bottom