cycling a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flushingfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it normal when cycling a tank after 2 weeks to have ammonia at 2ppm, nitrites at 0 and nitrates at less than 5 ppm. I have yet to see any spike in nitrites at all. I have tested 3 times a week to keep track and have done 3 pwc's. My experience is extremely limited so I am looking to those with the knowledge to help me out. Is my cycle normal or not? I also have cloudy water, probably from bacterial bloom but I'm sure that will clear up soon.

Yeah its normal...it may even be a another week or two before you test for nitrites.

What is the ammonia source and what the reason for the pwcs?

The ammonia source is three platys and a couple of hatchets. Unfortunately I took the advice of my LFS regarding cycles. I didn't read about fishless cycles until after I started. The water changes are because I am now stuck with a live fish cycle and I want to keep them healthy. So I am doing a PWC when the ammonia creeps up over 2 ppm.

I would expect that you’ll see some nitrite really soon. I’ve never cycled with fish, so I can’t give you a standard timeline.

Your fish would be a little better off if you could keep ammonia under 1ppm. Cut your feedings to once a day (if they aren’t already) and even then only what they can eat in a minute or two. That will help keep the ammonia levels from rising too quickly.

Glad that you found AA, welcome!

They are only getting one feeding per day. So far I haven't let the ammonia go over 2ppm I have been catching it prior to that. Usually at about 1.5ppm. Looks like water changes every three days or so are in my future for a little while. Wish I had read about fishless cycling before as it would have made life so much easier.

But on the bright side I am enjoying watching them, they're pretty active and my kids luv 'em

I'm on about week 3, waiting for my nitrite spike to end, and having to PWC every stinking day... I also didn't find out about fishless cycling until after I stuck some fish in my tank. I'm told that if you can find someone with an established tank and get your hands on an old nasty filter cartridge or a handful of gravel, it will make the process go a lot faster--I wasn't able to get my hands on any such thing until just this afternoon. In the mean time, a very knowledgeable LFS employee sold me some freshwater aquarium salt that really has helped counter the effects of nitrite when I've missed the levels and they've gone higher than I'd like them. Anyway, I feel your pain!

As JRagg mentioned, 1 ppm should be the absolute max with a target of .5
1.5 and 2 is just to high imo.

Keeping it low will not effect your cycle,but it will help the fish.

Do larger more frequent water changes if you must (I did) ...when nitrites do start testing positive try to keep them under or no higher then .5 as well.

It's not so bad, I just have to keep up with the water changes and luckily I can run my siphon tube right out my window. At least until I get a python. But so far the fish are all healthy and don't appear to be suffering any stress so I will keep going unless I can get my hands on an old filter or substrate myself.

I will be trying to keep ammonia below 1ppm thanks for the advice.

unless I can get my hands on an old filter or substrate myself.

Simply the best way to bring around a brand new tank ime.Be sure to keep it wet with tank water during transport.If using gravel it can added in the toe of a new pair of nylons and suspended in the tank.Flterpads can be added to your own housing,or just laid in the bottom of the tank.

If you're interested in having live plants...they can help "hurry" along the cycle too since they use ammonia and nitrites (don't need as much bacteria and decreases the levels to make the fish happier). If you've got bacterial bloom, you'll likely start seeing nitrites soon. You can also feed every couple days while you're cycling to help decrease "production" from the fish. They'll be ok.

If you've got bacterial bloom, you'll likely start seeing nitrites soon. You can also feed every couple days while you're cycling to help decrease "production" from the fish. They'll be ok.[/quote]

I had bloom but it just cleared up so I probably wiil be seeing nitrites soon. I just completed a 50% pwc yesterday and my levels are all within acceptable ranges now. I am feeding just once a day and only as much as they can consume in about 2 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom