Cycling Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just make sure its not the flame resistant/retardent stuff (treated with chemicals that will leech into your tank). Yep, stuff into your filters where ever theres room. :)

Will this dust hurt any plants, I wouldn't think since it won't hurt fish. Just want to be sure? I may have to get plain polifill if mine is flame resistant. Figured I could do it all in one trip, the plants and fill :)

Lol! I hear ya on that one! Just use the poly along with water changes until it clears/settles. If it doesnt, then you may be stuck cleaning this stuff again though I hope not!

I hope the polyfill helps it. It's mostly gone, at night it settles mostly but the rocks are covered in a grey filmy haze from the dust. I sure hope I don't have to clean them again! Geuss I'll have to wait and see *crosses fingers*

Well the polyfil is doing wonders! I wanted to thank you guys!! *hugs*

Also I got my plants and such into my 2 tanks and wanted to update ^.^

This is my 10 gal clinic tank
img_2282218_0_159bc8fd214b0991316ffc882790c4e0.jpg

This one is my 20 gal main tank.
img_2282218_1_d3b580db0c2f65be0b3309a50411506c.jpg

I think they both turned out better than I have visioned for a start :)

Okay. So I did my initial water test, thought I needed a base reading but was a week late lol. So this is where I am standing, thoughts?

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0.5
NitrAte: 5.0
NitrIte: 0

Hmm.... have you added any ammonia or fish food? Im just wondering where your amm is coming from. But you have had an increase in nitrates which indicates something is happening! :)

I added a little bit of food once. Though I did have the filer media in my established 5 gal and I put the 5gal biowheel in the tank for a bit. Would that show where the amm is coming from?

I need to test the 10. I am not sure what I am doing there my plants in that tank are sad :( browning in parts, but the 20 they are really taking off already?

Bit odd. A little bit of fish food added once shouldn't have added any appreciable ammonia and cycled filter media would not have added ammonia unless the tank it came from has very high amm levels. I would check the other tank to rule this out. No rotting plants in this tank? They would contribute to amm levels, too.

No strange levels in the 5 gallon tank, the NitrAte was a bit high, so I did a pwc. There is nothing alive in the 5 aside from 2 guppies. and all the plants in the 20 are looking fantastic (cant say so much about the 10 :( ) Too much stress coat+ ? I wouldn't think so but I put it in with water changes, I measured it out but I may have gotten too much (I'm really shaky). Hmm I washed everything I put in the tank and used Flourite gravel (mixed with aquarium gravel) and added some flourish and flourish excel by seachem? Not sure if that would do it?

Stress coat, flourish or excel should not have any impact on ammonia levels or contribute to them, so Im ruling them out. Nothing else really stands out either. I have never used flourite or planted substrates but I know I have read that some will release ammonia when new. I dont know if flourite is one of them or not. I am out of ideas here for what else may be contributing to your ammonia level! But, as there are no fish yet, its not a big deal.

Should I try a pwc of about 25-30% to see if it helps? 0.5 doesn't seem like too too much especially since I am not planning on putting fish in/transferring my two guppies to the 20 until its test read healthy. I love my guppies and don't want to harm them.
I think I will test the 10 and see if the ammonia is as high since I didn't put nearly as much flourite as in the 20. Are the readings favorable at 2 weeks into a cycle? :3

Well, if you want to move fish to this tank, I would definitely do a big wc or two to drop the ammonia. The amm right now is serving as food for your good bacteria so I wouldnt remove it unless you want to add fish. If you dont plan on adding fish anytime soon, you may want to add an ammonia source to bump up your level (raw shrimp, bottled, fish food, etc). If you want to move your fish, I would do a big wc and wait 24hrs to see the amm level rises again. If it does, then something's adding ammonia to your tank and this should be figured out before you add fish.

Back
Top Bottom