Cycling Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am really in no hurry to add the fish, I am pretty patient and fully expected this to take months or so lol. This silent cycle is a bit confusing, I am willing to give it all the time it needs, my guppies are happy in the 5 I think, they've been there for about a year now lol.

Well its been a week since my last test, and 4 since the initial set up and cycling started. I tested again tonight

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: .25
NitrAte: 0
NitrIte: 0

Is it just me or is something going backwards? :lol:

Also I have new inhabitants in my tanks, pest snails, likely from the plants. I am really not bothered by them, I like them well enough. If they get out of hand my friend's green spotted puffer will have a lot of goodies! Until then they are free cleaners!

so thoughts on my results this week?

I am bit surprised the amm hasnt zeroed out yet but I am still wondering where it is coming from! There wasnt much amm to begin with, so I am guessing that your plants are eating any nitrate being produced because the amm has dropped a bit.

The Ammonia was a shade between 0 and .25 so I took the safe route I think? I had a few plants melt and die off would that be doing anything? I'm worried it zero'd out like that. The numbers where looking okay last week :/
I am using API master test kit for fresh water. I've used this kit since I started my last tank, well not the same solutions since they did run out :)

Dead plants can add a bit of ammonia but I think you should consider adding a bit more ammonia- whether its from a bottle or a bag of raw shrimp, it doesnt matter. I dont think theres anything wrong with your tests though! :)

Well Time for another water test. I am kind of concerned. I have two guppies in there and they are doing great... my numbers did a spike. I dunno if this is normal??

pH 7.4
Amm 0.25
NitrIte 1.0
NitrAte5.0

I am really hoping this is normal? Or even I tested wrong? :banghead:

A 25% or 50% or less/more? Are the other numbers looking okay? What are the true ideals?

.25 of ammonia is somewhat borderline for fish but that on it's own isn't bad as long as it's doesn't go higher. There are some nitrates now which is goood (this means at least some of the nitrites are being converted). The high nitrites are the issue right now though....I'd do a 50% water change to get them down. The guppies are providing more ammonia than you did when cycling so now the bacteria are starting to colonize and until they colonize enough where they can keep the ammonia and nitrite down, you'll see it on the tests. Nitrites are as toxic to fish as ammonia so just keep testing and do water changes to try to keep nitrite and ammonia at .25 or under. This link might help if you haven't seen it: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

OKay. I did the 50% water change yesterday and tested today these are my new reading

pH 7.6
Amm 0
NitrIte 0.25
NitrAte 10

I hope these look better then?

Thanks again for all the help everyone! :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom