Cycling advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Winky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Background information: I went to the carnival and saw the were giving away fish as prizes. I felt very bad and wanted to try and win at least one to give it as good of a life as I could provide it because I know people do not treat them properly. I won 3 and picked up a tank and all the supplies I needed. Unfortunately the fish were diseased and did not last long...
Now I need some advice. I would like to start again with some healthy fish and I found a great place to buy them. I took a visit and I know their fish are doing great. I want to make sure my aquarium will be properly ready for them. How should I cycle it? I would prefer to cycle with fish. It is a 10 gallon tank and I will be getting it ready for some very small fantail goldfish (I know 10 gallons is small but for now it is appropriate for their size and I will be getting a larger tank). I haven't cleared out my aquarium from my other fish so what should I do? Start completely fresh? Thank you in advance for your tips and I apologize that I am a little clueless. I just want to keep them alive!

Winky, chances are that although your tank has been up and running for 2 weeks, it probably has not even begun to cycle.
In order to get the cycle underway organic matter has to be present inside the tank such as fish waste and small amounts of uneaten food. Several different types of bacteria begin to grow in your filtration media, on the decor and gravel. They feed on the organic by products, ammonia, nitrite & nitrates. After about a month, the water parameters usually become safe for fish.
Might get two or three small tough fish that can endure the cycle spikes. Feed them very sparingly. After a month start your routine weekly 20% water changes.
Your original fish might not have died from disease but from ammonia.
Plenty of links out there for detailed water cycling info, also good fish selection regarding cycling.
Good luck.

Much better for the fish to do fishless cycling for what I read. There are very good links around

Back
Top Bottom