Cycling advice requested!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will101gent

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I am currently 3 weeks into cycling my aquarium using the following guide: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

My ammonia is now dropping quickly from 4ppm to 0ppm within 24h. I am topping my ammonia up and waiting for my nitrites levels to drop.

I have a few questions regarding ph and my water hardness.

My ph has been fluctuating a lot - going from 6 to 8 after I add ammonia and let it drop. I have come to realise that my water source is very soft water so I got some hardening salts to increase the hardness. My GH is at 8 and KH at 2. I wanted my KH to be higher as this is a buffer for acids right? But I don't know whether to add more as my GH will also rise.

Basically I want my ph to be stable.... Once I stop adding artificial ammonia and put fish in will the ph stabilise? Should I increase hardness?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

You can add baking soda to increase kh. After the cycle though, you shouldn't need to add anything to the water if you keep up on weekly water changes. You could also add some crushed coral to your filter that will help maintain a steady ph.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have you tested your source(tap) water 24 hours after coming from tap?
Often water needs to adjust to atmosphere.
It could either outgas(sounds like your water) and release co2 and therefore experience a ph rise.
Sometimes the water comes into equilibrium by absorbing co2 and the pH will decrease from when it comes from source.
Take a sample of water and set it aside to adjust for 24 hours then test again.

If your testing pH after dosing ammonia the water will be more basic as ammonia is a base. However once the bacteria convert ammonia it becomes nitric acid and lowers your ph

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Hi Will,
My tap water is very very soft, no reading of Gh or Kh with the liquid test kit. I add about half a teaspoon (2.5ml) of bicarbonate of soda to every bucket of water (about 2 gallon) that I add to the tank. I've been doing this for a couple of years and it gives me a steady Kh of 6 and Ph of around 7, depending on the amount of Co2 injection. I raise Gh to 6 with half a teaspoon of Seachem Equilibrium to every bucket as well.
Raising your Kh will stop your Ph falling to 6 which can inhibit bacteria growth in the filter which in turn can stall your cycle.
That's just the way I do things but I'm sure there are others, such as coral etc.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom