Cycling almost finished, time for stocking ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panathinaikos55

Aquarium Advice Regular
I added a picture of the tank into my album, but be warned, I suck at aquascaping. I think it looks a bit cluttered, but I couldn't stop myself from picking up all the driftwood. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

That said, I am almost finished cycling my 60 gallon tank and need to start thinking of what to put in. Here is what I was looking at as a starting point.

10x Tiger Barbs
10x Black Widow Tetras
6x Apistogrammas
2x German Blue Rams
1x Gold Nugget Pleco
1x King Tiger Pleco

Thoughts?

Not cluttered at all! Looks good! As for stock I see some problems. I'd really shy away from the tiger barbs, even in a large school they will be aggrassive. Apistos, I'd only do 1 trio, and then possibablly the rams. Also, I'm not sure if 2 plecos are ok. But anyways. Is say
12 black widdows
3 apistos
2 rams
1 dwarf gourami
10 harqualin rasboras
12 bleading heart tetras

Not cluttered at all! Looks good! As for stock I see some problems. I'd really shy away from the tiger barbs, even in a large school they will be aggrassive. Apistos, I'd only do 1 trio, and then possibablly the rams. Also, I'm not sure if 2 plecos are ok. But anyways. Is say
12 black widdows
3 apistos
2 rams
1 dwarf gourami
10 harqualin rasboras
12 bleading heart tetras

Thanks for the feedback.

I was worried about the Barbs being a bit nippy also, but I like the bit larger size of the fish. I wanted a school in the 3" range since I'll already have a smaller school (2" or so) with the Black Widows. Plus, I liked the look of the Barbs with their stripes. I guess I'll look into something else.

Curious though, why would you only do 1 trio of the Apistos?

You can look into some black skirt tetras instead of the barbs. There about the same size have the stripes just silver and black instead of orange and black

You can look into some black skirt tetras instead of the barbs. There about the same size have the stripes just silver and black instead of orange and black

Aren't the Black Skirt & the Black Widow Tetra the same thing (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)? I thought they were a bit smaller than the Tiger Barb. Am I incorrect?

Thanks for the feedback.

I was worried about the Barbs being a bit nippy also, but I like the bit larger size of the fish. I wanted a school in the 3" range since I'll already have a smaller school (2" or so) with the Black Widows. Plus, I liked the look of the Barbs with their stripes. I guess I'll look into something else.

Curious though, why would you only do 1 trio of the Apistos?

Someone here recommended black ruby barbs to me, they look almost identical to tiger barbs but are black and red, they are very peaceful and not nippy. I just ordered some and they should be here wednesday. Something to check into if you want something similar to tiger barbs. Also they were really cheap for my LFS to get, I got 6 and they were $1.70 a piece. I'm starting out with 6 and if they do well in my tank then I plan on ordering more.

Back
Top Bottom