Cycling and ammonia question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katou7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I am a new member.
I got 3 platys in a 10 gal tank on 4/10. I let my tank running first for 3 days after adding Petsmart "bacteria supplement" at the set up (recommended by Petsmart and I wish I did more research before getting my fishes). I did a 15% water change on 4/13 but I under-dosed (.5ml instead of 2.5 ml) the water conditioning Aqua safe plus. I was wondering if the chlorine/chloramine affected the water somehow.
I feed them once a day and not a lot. They are happy and eating normally. I measure the water once a day with the liquid API test. I still get ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0 My questions are:

1. Should I have ammonia by now or can it take longer to build? if yes why my readings are 0.

2. Should I do a water change now? Or wait for the ammonia to rise.

2. Once I get ammonia readings should I do the water changes with prime to make the water safer for my fishes? Or will it affect my cycling process. I haven't used prime yet.

Thanks for all the help!

Hi I am a new member.
I got 3 platys in a 10 gal tank on 4/10. I let my tank running first for 3 days after adding Petsmart "bacteria supplement" at the set up (recommended by Petsmart and I wish I did more research before getting my fishes). I did a 15% water change on 4/13 but I under-dosed (.5ml instead of 2.5 ml) the water conditioning Aqua safe plus. I was wondering if the chlorine/chloramine affected the water somehow.
I feed them once a day and not a lot. They are happy and eating normally. I measure the water once a day with the liquid API test. I still get ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0 My questions are:

1. Should I have ammonia by now or can it take longer to build? if yes why my readings are 0.

2. Should I do a water change now? Or wait for the ammonia to rise.

2. Once I get ammonia readings should I do the water changes with prime to make the water safer for my fishes? Or will it affect my cycling process. I haven't used prime yet.

Thanks for all the help!

Your cycle hasn't started yet keep checking the ammonia level and do water changes accordingly. When new water is added add prime. No need to do a water change now if you have all zeroes.

yup your still cycling no need to change ur water yet if you have no ammonia readings yet.. a fish in cycle tank may take a few months mine took a month and a half

Your good just keep an eye on the ammonia when it shows small amounts do a wc and I cycled mine using prime it worked just fine so your on your way just keep those water changes good when needed and you will be fine good luck.

Back
Top Bottom