cycling and today at 10pm I have a nitrite peak to 5.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do an immediate large water change. Is this in the new tank? What fish are in the new tank? What have you done since the fishless cycle?

I assume fishless cycle? If so sit back and wait and test again tommorow, make sure ammonia is at 2ppm. If doing cycle with fish, immediate large water change to save fish.

It was a fishless cycle that never completed. He started the cycle by dosing once with ammonia and did not dose again for three weeks. I'm just not sure if the fish have been moved from the 20 to the 75 or if the filter was moved.

ok i did a 50% water change and waiting on reading
the fish are the leo, one tetra and two dwarf gouramis
my 20g is still housing some fish that have ick, I just moved over these few fish to the cycling 75g that until sunday it was cycling for about four weeks fishless with a sprinkle of ammonia at the start of the cycle.
btw the ammonia is about .10

update:
reading are now .50

both readings were taken from about two inches below the surface.

In a fishless cycle, no need for a PWC. Yes, the nitrite will spike, it's supposed to. Just when ammonia reaches 0ppm, just add 1-2ppm. Once you see both the ammonia and nitrite drop in less than 24 hours, you are cycled.

Back
Top Bottom