Cycling - another nitrite spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elli

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I've been doing a fishless cycle for 41 days now. I've seen all the spikes and my ammonia is disappearing in 24 hours. A few days ago my off the chart nitrite levels nearly hit 0. (I thought I was so close to finally being done!) This was consistent for about 2 days. But testing again today showed that the nitrite levels are once again off the chart. Any idea what's happening or what I should be doing? I've been adding the same amount of pure ammonia for around 2 weeks now.

I'm using the API freshwater liquid test kit.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate it.

That is odd. I don't suppose there is anyone you could get some mature filter media from ? It would sort this out almost instantly.

Have you seen any nitrate readings yet ? If not, you still don't have the second converting bacteria established.

If you have nobody to ask for filter media, I think you may just have to wait some more, but once nitrite starts to come down, you should be seeing nitrate readings. If you aren't, the cycle has a way to go yet.

Sorry! Forgot to add that nitrate is 80+ bright red.

I don't know anyone with an established tank. Perhaps a local fish store might be able to help me? I'll have to ask around.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom