cycling by filter media swapping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergie615

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone

I've just setup my 55 gal running a fluval 304 cannister filter. A buddy at work has a 46 gal with a 204. I was going to see if he would swap me one of his filter pads and a bit of biomax to get my system started. If I do this, what would my cycle be like and how long would it take.

Thanks

It would certainly speed up the cycle to start off with established media. All cycles are different, it depends on the fish in the tank, how much you feed, and the water parameters. No two people go through the same thing even if the situations are almost the same. You definitely have a good idea to get started, try to get some aquarium gravel from his tank, that can help too.

With a small bio load and gravel and media from an established tank, you may be happy to see that your tank will be cycled from the day you set it up :)

I think you could shave several weeks off your cycle doing that, but at least when I do this kind of thing it does not eliminate the cycle, just speeds it up dramatically. Biowheels do a great job, just float them in the cycling tank and they help immensely.

Your tank will- in a sense- be cycled by adding established filter media from another system. The problem is matching the bio load from that media to the bio load in the new aquarium. Be careful not to overload it by having too heavy a waste load. This way, there will be beneficial bacteria present from the beginning (thus eliminating most of the stress fish suffer through cycling) and it'll give your tank time to "catch up" with the established media and produce its own bio-bugs.

Back
Top Bottom