Cycling fast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well in trying not to get to excited I didn't test my water before work today and when I got home I couldn't wait lol. So I tested still 4ppm but it's ok! My filter from angels plush should be here this week. I also have another post with my stocking ideas. Id love the opinions! Thanks!!!

Idk quite how to link the threads or post a link to it on here.

Well tested this morning. Not much of a change but my ammonia seems to be at 3ppm today but my nitrites haven't seemed to move much. Does this seem ok? Should it be taking so long for these to be progressing? I'm at about 1ppm nitrite now.

Patience is the hardest thing in this hobby! Especially when you are staring at an empty tank... If you havent dosed any ammonia, leave things be for today. If you have, no big deal. Did you get your angels filter yet?

I haven't dosed it cuz I was hoping it would show more progress either tonight or tmw morning. I'll leave it for now and test again. No angels filer yet. I'm hoping today!!

Yay! 2 good news! But on news not so good for impatient people! Lol

1. I just checked my water again and it's down to 2ppm! I'm not gonna dose it yet. Check it again in the morning.

2. I tracked my package just now online and it said delivered so I went to the mailbox!!

3. Unfortunately the mailbox was to small cuz it's an apartment and it's in the leasing off! Ugh!! Patience is not my best quality lol. But I'll either get it Thursday of have my boyfriend run down and get it for me tomorrow!

Question? Since I'm seeing such good results from the ammonia dropping should I still use the angels filter or should I just wait it out?

I would use it! Especially if you are impatient! No sense in letting the perfectly usuable bacteria die off by not using it. By keeping it viable, you can always use in a qt tank or to seed another tank....established media is key when it comes to setting up new tanks quickly & easily! :)

Yeah very true! I'm definitely already planning my next bigger tank! Lol. My heart is set on a saltwater tank but I'm chicken cuz ive herd they are very time consuming and I'm strapped for that lol.

I agree, may as well use it since you spent the money on it and it might come in handy down the line. Plus it may very well help your tank cycle faster! :D

I sure hope so! I am so ready for fishy!!!!

Hey librarygirl since your pretty knowledgeable on here im stocking and I have a question if you don't mind. I have this as stocking ideas.

1 dwarf gourami
6/8 cherry barbs
1 red velvet swordtail (male)
1 marigold swordtail (male)
3/4 false bandit Cory's.

My question is do you think the 2 male swordtails will be an issue? Or would I male and 1 female be better?

Hi

I just wanted to let you know that i'm on day 19 of my cycle and what you were experiencing was similar to my own fishless cycle. Initially my ammonia dropped in a few days, but then it started taking longer to drop. It's still taking a few days for my ammonia to drop a little bit now! But it's just a patience game with fishless cycling. Although i'm glad I decided to do fishless, as some people end up having to do partial water changes every day for months to cycle with fish!

The live filter media will certainly help speed your cycle up - I wish I could get some myself, but I live in England and I can't find any stores selling it! Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

Phil

Thanks! I was starting to get impatient cuz this morning my tank looked as though it was at 4ppm again with no dosing..I'm like ugh!!!!! But tonight I'm going to add my angels filter and prey it helps!!!

I sure hope so! I am so ready for fishy!!!!

Hey librarygirl since your pretty knowledgeable on here im stocking and I have a question if you don't mind. I have this as stocking ideas.

1 dwarf gourami
6/8 cherry barbs
1 red velvet swordtail (male)
1 marigold swordtail (male)
3/4 false bandit Cory's.

My question is do you think the 2 male swordtails will be an issue? Or would I male and 1 female be better?

Looks good but I'm questioning the Swordtails. I think they're borderline for a 20 gal tank as they can get fairly large (4") and have heavier bioloads but I haven't kept them myself so not sure whether they get too large for a 20 (maybe someone else can chime in).

Is it a 20 long or a 20 gal tall? You could do just one male Sword instead which would eliminate aggression issues from breeding (typically you want 2-3 females per male but I wouldn't advise it in a 20 gal). You could also nix the swordtails and go with another small school of something like Harlequin Rasbora.

What kind and size filter do you have on the tank? If it's a filter that came with the tank in a kit I have a feeling you're going to need to run a second filter.

It is what came with it. I got the kit as a gift. If it would have been up to me id have bought a bigger tank and pieced it together. I think it's a tetra whisper. I believe it's a 20 gallon tall it fits perfectly in my space though so I'll deal with it. I really don't want to put another filter on it and take up more room plus I really don't have the plugs for anything else. As it is I'm gonna have to buy a power strip to plugin the air pump. Ok so maybe I'll nix the swordtail since they get so big. What about either a small school of neon tetras or black neon tetras?

It is what came with it. I got the kit as a gift. If it would have been up to me id have bought a bigger tank and pieced it together. I think it's a tetra whisper. I believe it's a 20 gallon tall it fits perfectly in my space though so I'll deal with it. I really don't want to put another filter on it and take up more room plus I really don't have the plugs for anything else. As it is I'm gonna have to buy a power strip to plugin the air pump. Ok so maybe I'll nix the swordtail since they get so big. What about either a small school of neon tetras or black neon tetras?

I think a school of either Tetra would do nicely.

Yay!!!! Angels plus filter installed and bubbling away!

Question?
Is there a way to change the flow of the air. It's making a ton of noise and for now it's fine but when I move it to my skeleton man I'm going to need it to calm down! Plus the tanks in my bedroom and sleeping with the noise will be hard!

Tested this morning with the angels filter installed. No change in ammonia but I can't expect it to happen over night.

Back
Top Bottom