Cycling for almost 7 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argenteus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I have been cycling for almost 7 weeks now and my nitrites is still up, off the chart actually. (Ammonia is 0). I have 18 one inch fish in a 45 gallon and do 15% vaccum gravel water changes.
Why is it taking so long to cycle?
I add Cycle every week, which doesn't seem to help much.
I have an aquaclear 300 with 4 1/2 oz. of act. carbon.
Am I using too much carbon, because I heard it can deplete trace elements that nitrifying bacteria may need?
I have also added aquarium salt.
The danios and minnows seem to be ok and eating, though a few are "breathing" quite fast.
I tried getting some gravel from an established tank like the LFS, but they wouldn't give me any.
Any thoughts or comments would be great.

Hiya Argenteus and welcome to Aquariumadvice :)

Sounds like the cycle has stalled; that happens sometimes when the nitrite levels go thru the roof (like yours). It somehow affects the water chemistry and prevents the nitrite eating bacteria from taking hold. So I have a few suggestions:

15% changes are pretty minimal when a tank is cyling, especially if they aren't daily. I'd up the changes to 30% every day for 3-4 days, then do a 20% every other day for a week. Just make sure the temps are matched and the fresh water is treated.

Salt is THE treatment for nitrite poisoning; add a few tablespoons of aquarium salt to the tank (it doesn't take much) and that should help as well.

And Cycle is a waste of money IMHO as you are experiencing. There is only one product which contains the correct nitrifying bacteria, BioSpira, and production is on hold atm.

[center:a8869ed3b7] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Argenteus!! :n00b: [/center:a8869ed3b7]
Cycle does not have the proper bacteria to cycle a tank. Only Bio Spira does and is not available in Canada :(
Carbon should not interfere with the bacteria. Personally, I do not keep carbon in any of my filters. Instead I use a ton of ceramic media and let the bacteria grow and grow in the canister filters. In the HOB, I just rely on the sponges to allow bacteria to grow.
How long did you have the tank before adding the fish? How often are you doing water changes? Can you see the bacteria growing on the sponges in the AquaClear?
My guess is there is bacteria and that's why the ammonia is down and you will just have to increase your water changes to eliminate the nitrites.

*edit*
Ah, Allivymar mentioned something I did not know. If the bacteria are not able to establish there will be problems.
Depending on where you are in Calgary, I may be able to help out. I can give you some "squeezings" from one of my HOB filters.

Thanks for the advice. The fish have been in the tank for about 7 weeks. I do 15% water changes a week. Menagerie, it would be great if you could help me out. I just don't know what you mean by "squeezings," though.
Anyways, I live in the NE section of Calgary, in the Falconridge/Castleridge area.

Its when you take the sponge media from an aquaclear from an established tank and squeeze it out in another tank. It releases a good deal of nitrifying bacteria into your tank and thus helping the cycle.

Argenteus said:
Thanks for the advice. The fish have been in the tank for about 7 weeks. I do 15% water changes a week. Menagerie, it would be great if you could help me out. I just don't know what you mean by "squeezings," though.
Anyways, I live in the NE section of Calgary, in the Falconridge/Castleridge area.

Definitely change your water change regimen to daily until the tank is cycled. Then you can go to weekly water changes.

I live in Parkdale, right below Foothills hospital. I think I can put squeezings in a baggie and give it to you and you can run it home and put it in your tank. PM me and we'll work out a time.

It would be from a tank that has been running for months, problem free and the fish had fry. Everyone in the tank is well, no signs of any illness and that is all I can say.

Menagerie, I don't really know how to use the PM. I just clicked on it, wrote my message and submitted. I hope you got it.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom