Cycling fresh water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mamabear1280

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I have a tank everything is good but ammonia won't go down to turn in nitrate how can I help with that?

Hi mama bear. A few questions.

- How are you dosing ammonia? Do you have any idea the ppm you have added?
- How long have you been cycling? A couple of weeks to see ammonia turning to nitrite, and a further 2 to 4 weeks to see nitrites turning to nitrates is typical.

With regards speeding up the process.

- Putting some biological media or sponges from a cycled tank is the best way if you know someone who could give you some. Some gravel from a cycled tank will also help to a lesser extent.
- You can get beneficial bacteria in a bottle as well. Fluval Cycle or Dr Toms One and Only for example.

Hi mama bear. A few questions.

- How are you dosing ammonia? Do you have any idea the ppm you have added?
- How long have you been cycling? A couple of weeks to see ammonia turning to nitrite, and a further 2 to 4 weeks to see nitrites turning to nitrates is typical.

With regards speeding up the process.

- Putting some biological media or sponges from a cycled tank is the best way if you know someone who could give you some. Some gravel from a cycled tank will also help to a lesser extent.
- You can get beneficial bacteria in a bottle as well. Fluval Cycle or Dr Toms One and Only for example.

It's only been a week and a half and I haven't added anything but water conditioner when I first sat it up letting do its thing

Attachments

• 20200309_154714.jpg
    20200309_154714.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20200309_154957_352.jpg
    IMG_20200309_154957_352.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 46
You'll have to wait it out, no way around it unless you have access to cycled media. Research fishless cycling.

Water conditioner alone is no going to do anything. A lot of folks here are into the fishless cycle, I’m sort of old school and just put in a fish or two, lightly feed it, do some partial water changes and let the filter do it’s thing. Takes about a couple of months for your filter to get “established” and never change the filter media, just slightly rinse it.

Back
Top Bottom